Changing $ to T Lira on weekend

Jul 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Lee
Original Poster

Changing $ to T Lira on weekend

We will be arriving in Istanbul late Friday night. What would be the best way to change $ to Turkish lira on the weekend--best rate, etc.?
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Neopolitan

In my opinion your best bet and best rate would be by leaving the $ at home in your checking account and removing them in Istanbul in the form of lira from an ATM machine. Why would you want to take them and exchange them which involves a great fee and a poorer exchange rate?

Jul 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM
ira

ditto
Jul 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM

You can withdraw lira at the airport ATM's at any time with your debit card. Remember to bring at least 20 cash with you to purchase your entry visa if you are a U.S. citizen -- can't recall the exact amount but I think it was $15 USD. You need to purchase this before you leave the customs area at IST -- they take Euro or dollars or lira for the visa.
Jul 29th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Lee
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone had trouble with rejected ATM cards and/or Pin #s?
Jul 30th, 2006, 08:39 AM

No, there are tons of ATMS in IST and never had a problem -- nut I always bring two debit cards just in case.

Don't forget to have some USD in your wallet for the entry visa -- the ATMS are available after clearing customs, not before. Have fun!
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM
tmh

Check with your bank about ATM usage. I've seen too many posts here about 4 or 6 digit PINs; pulling from only one account (checking vs savings), etc. They should be able to address you answer best based on the card you have.
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Lee
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all!!