Changing planes - Madrid to Barcelona; terminals/customs questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by United that when I fly from Dulles to Madrid (Aer Lingus) and connect to Barcelona (Spanair) that my bags would be checked through to BCN where I would clear customs. When I checked the Madrid airport map, however, Spanair departs from a different terminal. So, will I have to pick up bags, clear customs in Madrid, then schlep to another terminal, re-check in and clear security in the other terminal? I do have about 2 hours between flights. Thanks for your help, Fodorites!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM

http://www.madrid-mad.com/

different airlines most often means just what you did not wish to do. AirLingus flies to T4, Spanair T1
.The bus ride between the two is about 15 minutes.If your flight is on time, you don't have to wait for bags too long, no lineups for re-check etc...it is tight, but possible.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM

I had to change planes in Madrid in March - it was all on an Iberia ticket (even the same flight number) and all at Terminal 4 (which is actually two terminals, 4 and 4S). It was still quite an experience so I would think your situation would be at least as bad. Here is an excerpt from my trip report:

First - the flights. I’ve flown Iberia before and found it to be fine. Planes are a little on the old side but they get you there (no individual seat entertainment for example). Food was so-so, flight attendants were perfectly nice. Flights were on time. HOWEVER – strange experience. On the way over my flight from Boston to Barcelona had one flight number even though it stopped in Madrid. I did know it would require a plane change but was told the gates would be “close”. Ha. Try 4 escalators, a tram, passport control and security and a ten minute speed walk. Took at least a half hour. Didn’t even have time to use a rest room and got to the gate for the second flight just as it was boarding (remember – this was all listed as one flight). Also the second flight had about 4 different flight numbers. Oh well. The return was even more interesting. I got to the airport at 7:30 for an 11:00 flight because my traveling companion’s flight was earlier and I was up anyway with nothing else to do. Good thing. Check in lines at Barcelona’s spiffy new Terminal 1 were huge – took over half an hour. Then security, another 20 minutes. Thought it strange that my boarding pass said 9:30 for an 11:05 flight but whatever. Got to the gate and around 9:30 people started getting up and talking to each other. Turns out we were all waiting for four different number flights (to NYC, Boston and Miami, plus a shuttle flight to Madrid), some of which were scheduled for 10:10 and some for 11:05 – and it was all on the same plane! And it was at gate A6, not A10 which was what all of our boarding passes said!

Good thing I got to the airport so early, made the flight an hour earlier than I thought I was on, because when we got to Madrid we had the same 4 escalators, tram, power walk, passport control – and then, way at the far end of the huge Terminal 4 were 3 gates for US flights with a special security set up. Every single person got a pat down and hand check of every piece of luggage. Plus there was a cute little (actually he was huge) German Sheppard bomb sniffing dog. Unfortunately, despite the impressive security they still didn’t go through everything in the bags, for example they didn’t look in the bag that contained a small pair of scissors I have. The scissors made it through the three other security checks on this trip (all of which were the regular xray machine variety). I’ve carried a similar pair for years but last year they got confiscated on my last leg of a trip (having made it through 3 previous screenings). Go figure.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM

To the OP, if both flights are on the same ticket bagagge should be checked to/transferred to the BCN flight. You will do immigration/passport control but no need to collect bags (just make sure the bags are checked through). You then have to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 for the Spanair flight. These terminals are connected and shouldn't take you more than 15 mins to walk. You will have to check in at a Spanair counter for a boarding pass(unless Spanair allows online check in).
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM

It seems, cruiseluv, that Air Lingus flies into T4. No bag collection if they are checked through. Actually, if you have a tight connection and they AREN'T checked through, all the waiting and re-checking will certainly make your blood pressure rise. The intra-terminal buses are frequent and efficient. Just know what terminal you are going to . There should be self-serve kiosks to get your boarding pass if there is a long line.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:22 AM

I had checked yesterday arrivals and saw that the Aer Lingus flight from Dulles arrived into Terminal 1 so I assuned it would be the same for the OP flight.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:29 AM

Then you are probably right.. I looked on the aena.es ( national airport) website in general and it said air lingus flights were in T4.. but.. maybe there are some that land at T1.. or leave from T4? I didn't do the exact search you did. Maybe they are no longer "one world"??

This is totally confusing to say the least. I would trust the airline's website, I guess, over what I was looking at.

Hope the OP can figure it out! Thanks for "clarification" if you can consider conflicting info as such!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:55 AM

Lin, the website I use is flightstats.com.

But. of course, the best thing the OP can do is check directly with the airline issuing the ticket and making sure that the bagagge can be checked straight through. If not , based on my own experiences , I would consider that connection as risky (even if it is just going from terminal 1 to terminal 2).
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM

You can have your baggage labeled to your final destination, in Europe you go through custom at your final destination, if anybody cares to check you. Bring a couple of day clean under ware, LOOOL, just in case you baggage gets lost.

You do not have other options, the agent at departure might make a mild resistance but you insist, the can and they should check your baggage for your final destination.