Changing of the Guard in London

Feb 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Changing of the Guard in London

Hi,

We're going to be in London for a one day trip from Paris in April.

One of the things we would like to do is see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. I've checked the website and it stated last week that it would be held only on even-numbered days through May, then daily. When I checked again it stated that in February it would be held in odd-days and then every other day thereafter.

Does anyone have any further information on whether it will be on even or odd days in April? I'm trying to figure it out before we book our eurostar tickets.

Thanks for your help!
Feb 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM

The official web site does say odd days in Feb. www.royal.gov.uk

There's a "contact us" tab on the site so maybe send an email for clarification on May.

Caution--dates can change at the last minute due to a number of factors, including heavy rain, visiting dignitaries (although that usually would be known by now).

Horse Guards changing is good as well if you miss Buckingham Palace.
Feb 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM

you only have one day in London - do you really want to devote 2+ hours to standing outside waiting and watching the Changing of the Guard?

You can't simply show up at the time and see anything. You need to arrive much earlier to claim a viewing spot - and the nicer the weather the earlier you have to be there. If you arrive late you will see exactly the backs of the heads of several hundred other tourists.

I'd personally skip it altogether - or go to Horse Guards instead.
Feb 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM

I have to agree with janisj; with only one day in London, skip the changing of the guard - it really isn't worth the time you need to spend. There are way more interesting things to see in London.
Feb 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

This is true - I wasn't really thinking about having to arrive early to get a good spot to make it worthwhile.
Feb 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM

About 30 minutes before the changing, you can position yourself so you can see the band and guards marching in--roughly on the southwest corner of the Mall as it ends just before the large circle in front of the palace.

Usually this spot isn't crowded as it's east of the large Victoria monument and most people are pushed up against the gates.

As soon as the gates close, you can push on as you will have seen some of the pomp. I used to tell visitors to do this and everyone
seemed satisfied.

Directions are inexact as The Mall isn't a true east-west.

Or, as Janis suggests, skip it and go to the Horse Guards.
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM

We've seen both the BP changing of the guards and the Horse Guards (more than once) and would definitely agree that with the very limited amount of time you have, the Horse Guards would much better - not only time-wise, but viewing-wise as well.