Reload this Page >

Whats the best play in London now.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Barry

I'll be staying in Bloomsbury in September for 2 nights. Is there a must-see play or 2?

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Meg

I don't know which is the best play in London,but I can tell you that I have never been so disappointed in a play as I was in Notre Dame de Paris.The only person able to sing and act was the priest. Many people left the theatre at the interval. We stayed in the hope the play would improve. It didn't. We should have left with the others! <BR>Meg

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Linda

"Best" is a highly subjective subject. For instance, Mama Mia might really turn off people who don't like musicals, but it is rated very highly by those who do. My picks: Mousetrap, which has been running for over 50 years. Old fashioned, but wonderful; and Les Miserables. Two very different shows, but both worth watching, as are many, many others.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Ben Haines

The best plays in London now, according to critics and me, are <BR> <BR>The Disputation, at New End Theatre Hampstead to late June <BR> <BR>My Fair Lady at the National Theatre, the Lyttelton, season wholly sold out, but some tickets are sold each morning, if you queue. <BR> <BR>The Winter's Tale at the National theatre, the Olivier <BR> <BR>Noises Off at the Picadilly Theatre <BR> <BR>And I expect A Midsummers Night's Dream in Regent's Park Open Air Theatre till early September to be good. <BR> <BR>You ask about plays, not shows. These are plays. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Ellen

Your best bet to finding something that "you" will like is to check out the following site: <BR> <BR>http://www.whatsonstage.com/ <BR> <BR>It lists all plays and shows in London. Just go to Reviews, and click on West End - and all reviews and descriptions of plays are listed, and also includes the seating charts for the theatres.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Ben Haines

I'm afraid that no web site covers all the plays in London. For example http://www.whatsonstage.com/ omits The Disputation at the New End in Hampstead and Charley's Aunt at the Churchill in Bromley. The reason is tha nobody can persuage ll the fringe vthyeatre mnagers to send in their plans. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:27 PM
JOdy

We left at interval of Stones in his pockets, the 2 actor play may be wonderful, but it was a real effort to try to understand. I can usually pick up on the accents after a half hour or so but this one foiled me entirely! <BR>Try www.londontown.com,they have reviews and you canorder tickets, I'd rather try Leicester Sq for cheapies though. <BR>Friends saw Pirates of Penzance and loved it , if you are a G&S fan you may too.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:51 PM
BarbaraKK

If your interest is pop music I would suggest "Buddy". The energy and enthusiasm is infectious. I usually take in the mattinee performance on the day I arrive. Jet lag is completely forgotten. Subsequent nites I like to alternate serious theatre with the latest musicals. Rarely will London theatre disappoint.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Bobbie

We will be on a cruise and arriving back to London eary afternoon on July 30th. Can anyone tell me what hours the Leicester Sq. ticket booth is open? <BR>Do the sell tickets for evening perfomances? Thank you.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 12:28 PM
topper

good question

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 09:50 PM
curt

Sorry I can't recommend BEST, but my vote for worst is The Car Man, which I saw in October 00 on the recommendations of many. Beware of this show if it's still playing.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:49 AM
TonyS

Curt-I loved the show.Oh by the way you left your fanny pack here.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:58 AM
meagan

I will be in London for 3 nights (july 1-3) and was considering taking in a play/show as well. I'm not really a fan of huge musicals (although I saw Mamma Mia here in Toronto and loved it!) . I was looking into seeing something at the Globe but the only thing playing while I'm there is Cymbellina and I haven't read the play so am hesitant to go. I also read about The Pet Shop Boys' new musical "Closer to Heaven" - anyone seen or heard anything about it??

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Dave

Best is hard to say. however, we just saw "Stones in his Pockets" about a month ago. Very well written and acted. Hysterical wedding scene. Two actors play about 20 different characters in a very clever plot - Hollywood movie being shot in a small Irish village. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:09 PM
janis

the 1/2 price booth (ONLY go to the stand alone kiosk on the south side of the square - the rest are full price agents with misleading signe) is open from 10:00 - 6:00 each day. They accept cash only for the day of performance. <BR> <BR>A good site for theatre news is londontheatre.co.uk. They list all venues -- West end and Fringe. <BR> <BR>The BEST show on now is probably My Fair Lady -- but the female lead is only in about 1/3 of the performances and her understudy handle the rest -- very well I might add. <BR> <BR>But since the run is sold out and you don't want to waste time queueing for tix when you have so little time in London - go to the 1/2 price booth (yes there is a queue but it moves very fast) and you will find tons to choose from. (Skip Buddy - it has been playing for years and is sort of a tired old war horse now -- but it is always at the 1/2 price booth)

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Ben Haines

For Janis: Fodors <BR> <BR>I'm afraid that no web site has all the plays in London. http://www.londontheatre.co.uk does not list The Disputation at the New End in Hampstead, nor Charley's Aunt at the Churchill in Bromley. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Dorris

My daughter and I were in London in May. Saw Phantom and Mama Mia. Loved both. <BR>At Mama Mia, everyone in the audience--young, old, etc. gave it a standing ovation.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Barry

Although I'm not a musical fan, Mama mia sounds enjoyable. But it looks like it's sold out on our nights (aug 31 - Sep 1). Can we somehow get tix on sold out shows there?

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:22 PM
patti

Just returned tonight from 2 weeks in London. We saw 4 shows.....Stones in His Pockets, Woman in Black, Art, and Blood Brothers. We enjoyed each one immensely. Each had its own wonderful appeal, but the 2 my husband and I both agreed we would love to see again were Woman in Black and Blood Brothers. Woman in Black is an amazing storyline with fantastic twists and turns - only two actors on stage throughout. Blood Brothers is a musical with another wonderful story about twins separated at birth and how they meet up again and their lives become linked. Lots of emotions here......laughter, sadness, tears. A standing ovation, too. <BR> <BR>Half price ticket booth opened each day at 10:30. Our seats were always in rows 3 - 5. We turned down front row seats several days and asked for seats a few rows back.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 12:02 AM
Lupe

We were in London last year and saw Mousetrap at the recommendation of many others. Unfortunately, we chose to watch it our second night there (pretty much straight from California) and, well, the jet lag proved to be too much and the play a little too slow. Needless to say myself, and a group of 8 fellow travelers found it very difficult, and uncomfortable, to keep fighting off sleep. <BR> <BR>Not to say it isn't worth watching, just keep in mind to see it after jet lag has worn off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -