Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Changing cabin from uomo to donna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/changing-cabin-from-uomo-to-donna-615205/)

soccerose May 12th, 2006 10:45 PM

Changing cabin from uomo to donna

I finally booked my couchettes on an overnight train from Rome to Venice. I had checked availability & prices many times and then when i finally paid for our tickets it hit me I didn't remember to change the default from Uomo to Donna. Its a shared cabin for 4 and we are 2 women.
The tickets say nothing but a car and seat number. The website only lets me change the train. I'm afraid if I wait till I arrive to try to change it there won't be a cabin available. I arrive on a Friday and the ticket is for Sunday night.
Is this going to be a problem to change when we arrive? Any way to check/change them from home?

GeoffHamer May 13th, 2006 03:00 AM

Couchettes are not normally segregated by sex: you share with people of either sex. Some trains now have ladies-only couchette compartments, but I don't think there are men-only couchettes. The Roma-Venezia train doesn't seem to have ladies-only couchettes. In couchettes, you don't undress to go to bed - there's not really any space to hang clothes anyway. Sleeping compartments are normally two- or three-berth and are segregated by sex; if you share with strangers, they will be the same sex.

ira May 13th, 2006 04:57 AM

Hi S,

If you are taking either the 22:50 or 00:47 night train from Rome Tiburtina, there are no "Men Only" couchettes.

((I))

soccerose May 16th, 2006 07:33 PM

So I guess it is actually the "comfort" sleeper carriage - it says 'Couchettes for four "Comfort"' on my confirmation.

When I go in to select the 'beds' now I see the choices: Promiscuo, Donna and a check box for Posto basso obligatorio (mandatory situated below?). But I swear when I was in before my choices were Uomo, Donna, and the check box. (because I recoginzed both choices).

So maybe its 'whatever you get' or women only. I guess we will just get what we get.

What the heck is Promiscuo? - they have a special cabin for promiscuous people? .... that's the closest word I can find in my dictionary. : )

Maire May 16th, 2006 08:11 PM

Not sure, but I think "promiscuo" can mean "mixed".

bellastarr May 17th, 2006 12:07 AM

I am also guessing that Promiscuo means either Male or Female, Posto Basso Obligatorio means lower berth (probably for those who physically can't use an upper berth-so they make a special request for the lower one.

I took one of these trains some years ago, while traveling solo and ended up the one female in a cabin with 3 men (i Swiss, one Roman and one Venetian. Oh what a night it was! (Seriously-the worst problem was the snoring of the Swiss guy-otherwise they were all perfect gentlemen and even seemed to go overboard to put my mind at ease)

ira May 17th, 2006 07:11 AM

Hi S,

>What the heck is Promiscuo? <

"No preference".

((I))