Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Changes regarding Airport Shuttle in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/changes-regarding-airport-shuttle-in-paris-157839/)

Kathy Feb 9th, 2002 11:25 AM

Changes regarding Airport Shuttle in Paris

We used this service previously and were very satisfied. However, two weeks ago when we called a shuttle from CDG (as requested)when we arrived it took them 55 minutes to get there and we had to wait outside because they told us they will not look for us and we have to find them. After overnight flight, in the wind it wasn't that great to wait for 55 minutes. But we were happy when they finally arrived. Then a driver open a back door of the van and waited for us to put our luggae in. He, however, told us how and where to put our suitcases. Next, he told us we had to pay directly to him and when we objected and told him that we already prepaid with our credit card he told us that now things are different because Mr. Harris is leaving and there are new rules. He was so unpleasant that we were affraid he will leave us on the sidewalk after alsmost one hour waiting in the wind very early in the morning. In the end of this trip he did not help us with our suitcases as well. <BR>So, anyone has more information on the Shuttle that used to get such good reviews on this board when Mark Harris was around? And who is taking over? <BR>Is there any other similar service in Paris as we are returning in June?

Jenny Feb 9th, 2002 11:46 AM

I am going to Paris in April. So anybody can answer kathy will help me too. <BR><BR>I am also wondering how much is the taxi cost from CDG to Rue Cler in the 7th. We are staying in Gand Leveque.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Fred Feb 9th, 2002 01:14 PM

My advice? Be smart. Start your vacation the right way, no hassels, no problems, no delays, no schlepping luggage, door to door service. Walk outside the terminal and get on the taxi line. Don't take the drivers standing out there - very expensive. Take the taxis with "Taxi Parisien" sign on the roof. Should run you about $40 depending on traffic and amount of luggage.For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Bob Brown Feb 9th, 2002 03:33 PM

That is bad news, if Mark is leaving, or has left, the Paris Airport Shuttle.<BR>If he has left, there are other van services, but I have no knowledge of them. <BR>The taxi might be more, but no waiting in the wind!!<BR>

L Feb 9th, 2002 08:30 PM

I am so glad I saw this post. I was about to make a reservation for the Airport Connection, or the Paris Airport Services. Is what the thread is about?<BR><BR>My above mentioned choices come from Rick Steve's book.

Bob Brown Feb 9th, 2002 08:50 PM

I think is important to emphasize that the posting by Kathy that describes cruddy service Paris airport van shuttle services is specific to one company many of us have used in the past 4 to 5 years from CDG airport to various destinations around Paris: The Paris Airport Shuttle, the vans of which were painted a distinctive blue and yellow. <BR><BR>As long as Mark Harris was the manager, service was good to excellent. I used that particularly company twice after flying into CDG.<BR><BR>I did not interpret her remarks to be a generic reference. But for many of us, it is bad news if Mark Harris has left the Paris Airport Shuttle. <BR><BR>And Mark, if you are out there anywhere, communicate with us and let us know what the flip is going on.<BR>

Jean Feb 9th, 2002 09:50 PM

We took Airport Connection from CDG to rue cler in the 7th last summer. This is a different company than Airport Shuttle. It was great, they were there before we arrived, very polite, respectful, helpful. Paid by credit card in advance and it worked out to $12. Recommend them and would use them again.

Jenny Feb 9th, 2002 09:55 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. How to make the reservation?

Jeannie Feb 9th, 2002 09:56 PM

The site is airport-connection.com.

Jeannie Feb 9th, 2002 10:00 PM

I meant to add that you can make the reservation at this site. They were very prompt about replying with emails and I do believe I called them on an 800 number, too, with some questions. The price turned out to be a better rate than what they post (I think it's $14) because the exchange rate was so good. Good luck!

Mark Harris Feb 15th, 2002 03:51 AM

Dear Kathy , Bob & all Paris bound fodorites ,<BR><BR>I left Airport Shuttle Paris on the 31st January 2002.I was no longer able to manage the company in the manner that I have done for the previous 3 years due to the impossible conditions imposed by the company owner Emile Malonga.<BR>It came to my attention that there were serious financial irregularities & malpractises orchestrated by Mr Malonga that I refused to be a part of.<BR>I am currently issuing legal proceedings against Mr Malonga & Airport Shuttle and will be managing a leading competitor shuttle company within the next 2 weeks.<BR>I am not particularly keen on airing dirty linen in public nor am I keen on running down competitors but do feel obliged to state clearly that I am no longer involved with Airport Shuttle.<BR><BR>I thank all fodorites who have been supportive over the last 3 years & will certainly inform you of developments.<BR><BR>best regards <BR><BR>Mark Harris<BR><BR>

Hanna Feb 15th, 2002 04:26 AM

To the top for those who are interested in reading what Mark Harris had to say about this whole thing.

wendy Feb 15th, 2002 05:44 AM

Please tell me that Airport Shuttle and Airport Connection are two different companies!? We are renting a private transfer from Airport Connection.....

Beth Feb 15th, 2002 06:34 AM

We used PariShuttle, another shuttle company, and were very pleased with the service and the chatty and helpful drivers. They lifted all our luggage into the van, and on the return, the driver even went into the airport to find a cart for my friend who was then juggling four suitcases (she's a shopper, what can I say!)

Galard Feb 15th, 2002 06:45 AM

My advice may not be welcome, but it deserves to be said. Don't use the shuttles! Period. Especially so if you can manage your own luggage. I say this not only because of the stories of rude service, but because of the rediculous waste of time and money for shuttles over taking the RER train and then sharing a taxi from Gard Du Nord to your hotel. I read about people having trouble with the phones, then waiting and waiting outside for the shuttle to arrive, only to be driven around and around Paris while the shuttle lets off other passengers first. I had originally reserved a shuttle from CDG to the city, but canceled to give the train a try. If I wasn't satisfied, I'd take the shuttle back. With the train, other than carrying the luggage up/down the flight of stairs to/from the platform at the Gard du Nord Station, it was no hassle at all. The trains run very often and only take about 20 minutes. For both of us together, the train/taxi combo cost less than half the price of just one person in the shuttle.<BR><BR>I checked about a shuttle from hotel to CDG. I had an 11:15 pm flight. The shuttle said I had to leave the hotel at 7:30pm. 3 & 3/4 hours prior to the flight? Rediculous I said and spent a little bit more of the evening in the city, leaving from my hotel to Gard du Nord at 8:45, then a train at 9:10 arriving in plenty of time. <BR><BR>I can't see me taking a shuttle over the train. I'd opt for a taxi first.<BR><BR>Mr. Harris in his new job needs to improve the shuttle operations to persuade people like me of the advantages to taking the shuttle.<BR>Galard

Bob Brown Feb 15th, 2002 07:37 AM

I used Mark's company twice.<BR>No problems.<BR>If no problems and a cheaper cost, why not use it again. <BR>

Andrea Feb 15th, 2002 07:46 AM

Mark, you're right you should not air your dirty laundry in public and you did. You should not have mentioned any information about your former employer, business irregularities, or legal proceedings.

Krisitna Feb 15th, 2002 07:48 AM

Bob, because Mark Harris is gone and it seems like there are many problems with this company. Read again his statement here.<BR><BR>Airport Connections is not the same company as Airport Shuttle

wendy Feb 15th, 2002 08:31 AM

Thank you Kristina for letting me know about the two companies!<BR><BR>I have 10 clients coming in and taxis are an expensive option, and luggage a nightmare on the train! <BR><BR>~Wendy~

Christina Feb 15th, 2002 10:47 AM

I wouldn't use one either, but some people really care about saving that amount of money. As for the driving around -- well, yes, that's what you are paying for, a group transportation so of course you may end up last, but that's wellknown as part of the deal, it's not a private car.<BR><BR>There are several of these companies around that are easily findable if you just type airport shuttle paris into a search engine, or look in the Parisian phonebook (transports urbains et regionaux de voyageurs)