Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Champagne taste on a beer budget - Rome hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Lisa

I am trying to find a hotel in Rome for early January. My problem is that I have champagne taste on a beer budget. I would love to find a quaint hotel or bed and breakfast with character in the historical center for under $75 per night for a double. Perhaps has anyone stayed in an independent hotel or bed and breakfast that may not be in any guide books or booking engines? Thank you for your suggestions.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Maureen

Lisa, <BR>We stayed at a very inexpensive 2 star hotel which served breakfast in June, couldn't beat the price. The rooms were very clean and the staff most helpful. Check www.bookeurohotels.co.uk and look for Nardizzi Americana. They do have their own website but the prices were cheaper on the above mentioned website. <BR>Have fun. <BR>Maureen

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Lisa

Maureen - Thanks for the tip. I did check it out, but they quoted me a rate of almost $90 per night. I really appreciate the response though. <BR> <BR>Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm still hoping to find something since I thought I was traveling in low season (January 5-15). I going to depart on December 29 to be in Rome for New Year's, but I gave up since I couldn't find any lodging for a reasonable price. I'm also thinking that fewer crowds would be nice.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Lisa

Sorry about the typo - "I 'was' going to depart on December 29...."

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 08:47 AM
bea

hi, <BR>maybe this 2 could be ok for you and your budget: <BR> <BR>La Dolce Vita Trevi: http://www.charmingrome.com/dolcevitatrevi <BR>Colosseum B&B: http://www.charmingrome.com/bbcolosseum <BR> <BR>good luck <BR>bea

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 01:54 PM
dianna

check out Hotel Primavera (near Piazza Navona) Was there a year ago- EXCELLENT location and although I don't remember the price I payed- I was hostelling the rest of the trip and didn't find the price too steep. Good Luck- Rome is incredible!

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:38 PM
bonnie

I was going to try staying in a convent in Rome last year, but the trip didn't work out. However, I did do quite a bit<BR>of research on this alternative to hotels and it seems like a very attractive option. The "Cheap Sleeps" series recommends the Fraterna Domus right off the Plaza Navona. When I checked on it last year, the rate was<BR>about $75 double with bath and breakfast. Also serve meals. There is a great website which lists all the available convents that take guests done by the Paulist fathers, if you are interested I will look it up and send it<BR>to you. You could also do a search for Sandra Gustafson, Cheap Sleeps in Rome and read her description. (You don't have to be Catholic or on a regilious<BR>retreat, there are sometimes curfews though. It's an idea. Bonnie<BR>have, I will look it up and send it to you if you are interested<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:45 PM
bonnie

Lisa - here is the website with information on staying in convents in<BR>Italy. www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/ convents.shtml <BR>If you try it, let me know what you think! Bonnie