Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Museum and Gallery Tickets - Best take-along Travel Guide??

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Mitzi

Any suggestions where I can make advance reservations for Uffiizi Gallery and Villa Borghese from USA. Also, what is the best Travel Guide to take with us? Going to Rome, Florence/Tuscany Region, and Venice in June. Thanks for any advice...We're first time visitors.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Alice

I know the one for Uffizi - it is http://www.weekendafirenze.com/museifi/uffizi.htm - don't know offhand the one for Borghese. I prefer the Eyewitness Guide series - have one on Italy. Good detail but also beautiful photos, floorplans, etc. Also, if you can find them, look for small booklets called "Trip Builder" (Rome, ex.) They include the top sights, and a city street map (probably not the most detailed but gives you idea)..

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:17 PM
sandi

You can ask the hotel manager or someone at the desk to reserve tickets for you. That's how we got into the Accademia.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Beth Anderson

You know, re: Uffizi - I don't know if it was because it was winter, but, I was able to walk right up to the reservation desk and get my tickets for three hours hence, in no time flat. <BR> <BR>I did walk past the long long long line to get into the museum - the reservation area was not THAT far away - why would people wait in line when the reservation desk was so easy? <BR> <BR>I like Time Out Guides. Eyewitness Guides are GREAT too. Rather heavy though, but VERY comprehensive. They may be good to read before you go? If you are trying to pack light.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:36 PM
eva

I went to Uffizi after 5pm,it was nearly empty.Open until 7pm,or even later. <BR>In Galleria Borghese booking is obligetory .I booked on line,was given a ref. number ,paid on the spot with a 2000ITL booking fee.Yo can enter every 2 hours,9am,11am,1pm and so on,and you are allowed to stay only 2 hours,For me it was enough.Booking service:www.ticketeria.it

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:23 AM
elaine

Books for Venice: <BR>My most valuable guidebook was a Frommer's publication "Walking Tours Venice" but it seems to be a very difficult book to find. It was perfect because not only did it guide me step by unfamiliar step through the various neighborhoods but it also gave brief explanatory comments on my surroundings, and even on individual art works and cafes to stop into along the way. If there is no such thing for you as having too much information and detail, then think about buying the book Venice for Pleasure by J. G. Links. It is available from the Common Reader catalog www.acommonreader.com <BR>This book has walking itineraries including places to stop for rest and refreshment, and wonderful details on things to look at while you are walking and even while you are sitting down.. This book is not useful for restaurants or hotels or hours that sites are open. Includes history, and comments on Venice from famous writers of the past like John Ruskin. <BR>For all-purpose guides, I used the Fodor's guide and the Eyewitness book. Many guidebooks have suggested walking itineraries. <BR> <BR>There were also self-guided walking tours suggested in an article in Travel and Leisure magazine. <BR>You can access that article, and many more links about Venice, by going to <BR>www.pathfinder.com/travel/TL/tarticles/ <BR>136.html <BR>I did not find the Eyewitness Guide to Florence and Tuscany to be helpful for Florence sight -seeing. One drawback to the Eyewitness Guides in general is that they are quite heavy to carry around, although they are beautifully illustrated. I also found myself constantly flipping pages to find what I needed. The books are great to keep for research and as souvenirs, but I don't think they are easy to use while you are actually walking around, at least not for Florence. The Fodor's and Frommer's guides to Florence were much better as guidebooks to carry on a daily basis. <BR> <BR>I have files on Venice and Florence; if you'd like to see them, email me <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 08:25 AM
adrienne

Hi Mitzi, <BR> <BR>I called the Borghese Museum at 3225240 and received a confirmation number. There was no charge for the reservation. You pay for your tickets when you pick them up. Just give your confirmation number at that time. The 2 hour time limit is strictly adhered to. Get to the museum about ½ hour before your admission time to pick up the tickets and check your bags. Only very small purses allowed inside the museum. The Borghese was one of the high spots in Rome for me. The Berninis are on the second floor. You go to the 3rd floor first (lots of stairs), the entry door to the sculpture rooms are initially closed and are open when you descend the stairs from the 3rd floor. Save half your time for the sculptures; I though this was the best part. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 08:51 AM
scott

The "Eyewitness" books are wonderful. They are FULL of information, you almost don't nee to see it in person, they are that good. <BR> <BR>I have also used Rick Steves "Mona Winks" and found it to be very good.