Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Châteaux & Hôtels de France - excellent service

Sep 16th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Sam

We have just made a last minute booking through Châteaux & Hôtels de France on their website (details below). They offered a room in the hotel of our choice, but it was the last room available and so they asked us to confirm immediately. Unfortunately we did not receive the email until late on Friday so we were late responding.

This morning I was telephoned from their office to say that the hotel was fully booked but they had found us a place in a nearby and very similar chateau/hotel, which I accepted. They phoned again a little while later to ask if we would like to reserve a table in the restaurant because it was getting full.

I was impressed with this personal service. So often with email/internet bookings you feel you are talking to a machine.

Châteaux & Hôtels de France
30, Rue des Jeûneurs
75002 Paris
Tél : +33 (0)1 55 34 16 16
Fax :+33 (0)1 55 34 16 26
Email : [email protected]
Internet : www.chateauxhotels.com

Sep 16th, 2002, 06:55 AM
also

Sam,
I just learned of this company when I picked up their book (nice dream book) while staying at Chateau de Sully in Normandy in June (which I had booked directly through other recommendations). I was lucky enough this year to return to France in July-August for some touring around and used the guide for my hotels--6 altogether in Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley and Loire Atlantique. They contacted me just before I left US to let me know that there was now available a suite at one of the properties (my original request) and also to let me know that the restaurant at one of the properties was booking solid and that I should make a reservation there is I wanted to sample the fare. I too was flabbergasted that the "machine" was even paying attention!
The president of the operation--which I believe is a fairly selective consortium similar to Relais Chateaux--is Alain Ducasse! Can't believe I had not encountered this group before, but better late than never! (Not a paid advertisement!)

Sep 16th, 2002, 07:08 AM
IMO

Hmmmmm...two separate customers, two phone calls to alert them that they might want to reserve a table because the restaurant was practically booked solid....? Sounds like there might be something more than customer service going on here.

Sep 16th, 2002, 09:38 AM
also

IMO--I thought the same thing, like oh yeah, sure! I didn't make an advance reservation but on my 2nd night there was turned away becuase it was booked!

Sep 16th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Sam

I'll let you know just how busy the restaurant is!

BTW Mr/Ms Also, what was the Chateau de Sully like? - that is where we are finally booked. I believe the restaurant has a Michelin star so I am fairly confident that it will be a good experience.

Sep 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Ms. also

Hi Sam,
I loved the Sully, stayed there another 2 nights on the July trip. The restaurant is really quite something--so I hear! I was visiting friends nearby on the June trip and eating all meals elsewhere. In July, I was going to take my friends to dinner at hotel but it was fully booked. My friends had eaten there before and say great things. The hotel itself could not be more attractive/charming and the couple that run it were a delight. The rates are wonderful. I'll be back for a few days in November and look foreward to it. I was staying at a much more expensive hotel just up the road from Sully prior to this new discvoery and actually think it is superior. I can't wait to eat there myself!

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Sam

Back yesterday from France.

Chateaux de Sully was superb - beautiful grounds and setting, pleasant friendly service, comfortable spacious room. The restaurant, which WAS busy, served the most delicious food. I recommend it highly.

Sep 29th, 2002, 08:20 AM
foodie

How much should we expect to pay at Chateau de Sully for dinner?

Sep 29th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Rex

To the best of my knowledge, Chateaux and Hotels de France is an "association", not a company. Hotels are independetly owned and operated. I think that the association management DOES try very hard to run a good ship.

We stayed recently at Le Repaire de Kerroc'h in Paimpol (Brittany), which is part of that association. The service at the hotel was actually lacking - - not because the staff didn't try, but they were seriously under-staffed, and trying hard to find additional help (and you think this only happens in America?)

We also had the experience of being unable to get a table to eat dinner there the first of our arrival - - and the second night it was very clear why. They only have eight tables, and they do not consider it their goal to "turn them over" after one seating has occurred. That's a very European thing - - that the table is yours for the night, and there's much to like about that.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
tip top

topping

Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
ttt

ttt

Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:25 AM
Fred

I've been using this group for 15 years. It used to be called "Chateaux et Hotels Independants" but now is "Chateaux et Hotels de France." They've gone from a tiny guide to quite a large size book. There are a few good guides for moderate priced hotels (some expensive also but plenty of moderate ones). "Chateaux et Hotels de France," the group "Relais du Silence", and don't overlook the "Best Western Guide". These are not chain hotels - they're independant hotels under the umbrella of Best Western. With these 3 guides you can easily travel all around France, stay in towns or in the country, in chateaux or small hotels. For Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:20 AM
Ron

We use these guides too, along with Relais and Chateau, but communicate with the hotels directly. Chateaux and Hotels de France will send you a catelog for a reasonable fee. Relais and Chateau's can be downloaded, but I've never tried it.