Châteauneuf-du-Pape in winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth a day trip during winter? Not sure what will be open. The drive is about 90 minutes (each way)for us, so degustations will be limited. We like wine but aren't real connoisseurs. Will go this week if the weather remains temperate.

Suggestion on places that might be open for lunch? Thanks.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:34 AM

In my opinion it's not worth a 3 hour round trip in summer - I wouldn't even contemplate it in winter.

I've always found the town distinctly unwelcoming - living off it's obvious association but making no effort whatsoever to actually merit anything much beyond a cursory dalliance.

Just my opinion though, others may not share my view.

Dr D.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:40 AM

You might contact Chateau Beaucastel and see if you can get an appointment for a tour and tasting. Excellent wines and they've recently partnered with Jolie-Pitt to produce their wines. The family has vineyards all over the Rhone valley and markets wines at all price points.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy, I've just emailed them.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 03:25 AM

On the road into CnP is a chocolatier that is worth a visit also. We enjoyed a tasting in a vineyard just outside of town--I don't know if if is the one mentioned above, but it was in a beautiful "house".
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 05:38 AM

The original Chateau, a summer home for the Avignon popes, is a pile of rubble on a stony hill. Vineyards can be pretty bleak in winter, row upon row of sticks stripped of leaves and fruit. The wine itself is the only attraction. Wineries are not exactly hubs of activity outside of harvest and pressing times. So you get a drive in the country, a bit of atmosphere, and a few sips. An organized tasting in the vicinity where you are staying will teach you more.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:21 AM

We've visited and explored CdP on many occasions and I'm certain a search will give you our thoughts. A "longish" drive in the winter would prove a challenge, especially the drive back. The town is not particularly tourist friendly--very few open tasting rooms and what is open feels overly touted. The producers are at their estates and most have very modest facilities for tasting. We've yet to experience a good restaurant in town that didn't feel stuffy or awkward.

All that being said, the area abounds with good producers of the heralded Chateauneuf du Pape as well as the lesser Rhones. I enthusiastically endorse the idea of an appointment with Beaucastel--a highly rated representative of the region with immense passion for their product. Its a 2-3 hour tour with lots of info and energy on the outskirts of the appellation. You won't get tipsy and you will get exposed to the philosophy of the region
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:29 AM

Actually, if I couldn't get into Beaucastel, I'd go to Gigondas for a tasting in town and lunch at L'Oustalet (also owned by the Perrin family of Beaucastel)

It is a more picturesque area with great wines and likely an equidistant but prettier drive, though I'm not sure where you're coming from. The area is east of CdP.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

We are coming from St Saturnin les Apt.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:14 AM

Check with Michelin but I'd bet the driving times are close, though CdP would be more highway driving, I think.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dismal on most winter days.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 12:52 AM

Gigondas is a good idea.
The cave on the main square (and only..) Offers degustation of ALL the producers and is worth it.
For Lunch, you also can go to Le Caveau des gourmets (stairs down from the main square) where you can have a 1/2 glass of diffrerent wine with each course. Dishes (tasty and fun) are served in "verrinne" and are on the small side so I would recommend the full monty.
since you'll be near, and eventhough there is no wine, dont miss the splendid village of Seguret.