Cezanne et Paris: Musee du Luxembourg Oct 12 - Feb 26

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I was in Paris, we had the good fortune of viewing Renoir's masterpiece,"Luncheon of the Boating Party". OMG...it was magnificent! It was on loan to the Musee du Luxembourg. Out of curiosity, I checked to see what will be featured when we're there in November.
http://www.hotels-paris-rive-gauche....embourg-paris/

Yeaaaa! Starting October 12th, they will feature 80 of Cezanne's most famous pieces.

Does anyone know if we should buy tickets in advance? I'd hate to get there and not be able to get in.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM

Yes, you can:
http://www.digitick.com/cezanne-et-p...-ei117613.html
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM

I bought my tickets on line with no problem. It is nice to know ahead of time that you have a ticket and you can go at the time you want. I am also going to Stein exhibit at the Grand Palais. And if you will still be in Paris on Oct.20 you can check out the Musee d'Orsay galleries
that have been refurbished. I read somewhere that they have tried to replicate the original settings of the paintings (i.e. no white walls).
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we won't arrive in Paris until November 4th. Thanks for the tip.

Since this post I had also found the Stein exhibit at the Grand Palais. It's going to be glorious!
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM

Printemps, when you bought your ticket were you able to click on the dates on the calendar? They are all showing up as grayed out when I am trying to pick a day.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:54 PM

How crowded do you think the Musee d'Orsay will be on Oct. 20, 21, 22, or 23? These will be the only days when we can visit. We are considering the joint ticket with the Musee Rodin which we thought to visit first then go to the Orsay in the afternoon.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:39 AM

Hi Sally,

I bought my ticket from the fnac site http://www.fnacspectacles.com//place...MPLE-CEZPA.htm
and it seemed pretty easy to navigate. I printed my ticket at home. You may have to try a few times until you get the time that is available.

When I looked at it today I saw that you can also buy guided tour tickets, now I wish I had done that. I am doing that for the Stein exhibit at the Palais.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the Fnac sight. Worked much better than the first link!
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM

Scootoir -- it will probably be crowded, but no more crowded than it has been in the past. I would get my ticket in advance, however.

JeanneB, -- I also love "The Luncheon of the Boating Party." It is part of the permanent collection of the Phillips Collection in Washington, D.C., where I lived before moving to Paris. Whenever I was really missing Paris, I would drag myself down to the Phillips and sit in front of it.

I love the painting, not just for its artistic value, but for the stories of all the participants. The guy in the tank top in the foreground is Caillebotte.

FYI, while you are in Paris, you might consider your own luncheon at Maison Fournaise, the site of the Boating Party. http://www.restaurant-fournaise.fr/Page_welcome.htm

Have a wonderful time in Paris.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM

We are also going to be in Paris in November. It's an embarrassment of riches for art and museum lovers:

Pompeii House at Musee Maillol
The d'Orsay has a great show: Beauty, Morals and Voluptuousness in the England of Oscar Wilde
Jeu de Paume will have a Diane Arbus show
The Steins at the Gran Palais
and now the Cezanne.

I don't think we will have time to personally do anything else. We were thinking of a day trip to Reins, and a tour of the workings of the Eiffel Tower. I might have to eliminate one of those.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the great info. We will be there next week so will see if I can buy tickets online for Cezanne.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Is this the site for the Grand Palais? I have been unable to find anything about The Steins.

http://www.grandpalais.fr/en/Homepag...1-Homepage.htm
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM

I have bought Grand Palais tickets online with no problems. But it is 2 for 1 entry with my Eurostar tickets from London. There is always a wait anywayhy to get in so I'll wait for the day and stop inat an FNAc neaqr our apt for D'orsay tickets. I'd buy Musee de Luvembourgh online or at fnac . It is a very small viewing space IMO and gets crowded.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Looks like the whole day is available the day I would like to go. Morning or afternoon better? Any good places to eat lunch at the Museum or nearby?
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM

I should have specified "Grand Palais".

You all are so wonderful! I haven't had much time to plan our trip to Paris due to family matters and stressing a bit about it. I feel a little uplifted today! Thanks so much for posting your wonderful ideas. Back to packing!
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Ronda: it's not clear whether you are asking about the Luxembourg or the Grand Palais. Regardless, there will be plenty of restaurant choices near either one.

From the Lux, head over to Boulevard Saint-Michel. Lots of choices there. From the Palais, I guess you'd walk over to the Champs Elysee. I've never eaten in that area.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Yes, I saw that my post was ambiguous. I meant near Grand Palais. Thanks for your suggestions.

My husband has a business appointment one day at La Defense so wondering if we could make it to Fournaise for dinner. Any idea if there is public transportation from La Defense to Fournaise? On their website they have directions using RER A from Paris.

I'll have to look at google maps and see if it isn't too far we could take a taxi.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Just wanted to report back that we saw both the Stein Exhibit and the Cezanne exhibit. Thanks again Printemps for the FNAC link.

Both shows were very good and very crowded. We went to the Stein show on a Saturday in the afternoon and it was packed. The Cezanne show at 9:30 on a Friday morning was much less crowded but was filling up as we left. Try to go early. We bought tickets for both online. The Grand Palais space was not very comfortable for a show - you had to go up and down stairs - the spaces were small etc. It wasn't terrible but was not ideal for such a popular show.

And while this is probably not relevant for most readers, you cannot bring a stroller into either exhibit so bring a baby carrier if you are going with a baby.