Lisbon, Granada,Sevilla, Barcelona, Veneza, back home

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late October- fly Lisbon-3 days stay ,/fly Malaga in the morning, do the Alcazar thing, train to Seville/-6 nights / fly Barcelona/3 nights/fly Veneza-4 nights, I'm done, and already willing to fly back home from Venice.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Sheesh!! I'm sleepy.. I meant "do the Alhambra thing"and then onto Sevilla
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Hi Surlok,

Sounds like fun! I am actually just starting to research a trip to Spain in January 2004, so can I pick your brains a little as you have done some research that I haven't done yet?

I want to go to Sevilla and then to Ronda and some other of the small towns in that area. Are you going to do that, based in Sevilla? If so, how will you get around (train/bus/rent-a-car)?

I was thinking about staying in the Andalucia area since my trip will likely be about 8-10 days. I was thinkin go flying into Madrid or Malaga, but the fact that you are starting in Lisbon peaked my interest. Can you share why you decided to do this?

Thanks for any wisdom you may want to share!

Karen
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Karen,

I decided to start in Lisbon afterward. When I started to plan, I was considering flying to Madrid, connecting to San Sebastian, staying there 2 days to decompress, flying from there to Sevilla. After Sevilla, my base for visiting some of Andalucia, I'd be in Barcelona for 4 nights and then flying home.

However, as I am Brazilian, and Portugal and Spain are the Iberic Peninsula, I thought that starting from Lisbon would make more sense. Since there are flights Lisbon/Malaga, and I also want to see the Alhambra., it made sense to include it before heading to Sevilla.
So, Lisbon made a lot more sense as a first stop than San Sebastian.

Venice was added because my daughter, who will be traveling with me, and I , absolutely love it, and as there are cheap air tickets for such flights sold by Europebyair, it woudn't hurt adding one more destination, before flying back home.

I have, however, a personal strategy for planning, that is perhaps more sensible only to me. I start froom less to more. What is less and what is more, depends strictly on personal preferences and own perception.

As you see, I'm skipping Madrid, because I definetely don't enjoy it.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Thanks Surlok!

That will give me more to think about. As I will have probably a maximum of 10 days, I know I have to limit where I go. I started researching Andalucia mostly because I will be going in January so I figured I would stay more south.

I have never been to Spain, so I would love to see Madrid and Barcelona too, but I am thinking of skipping them this time because of my time restrictions. I may spend a day or to in Madrid before heading south if I fly in there...so many things to think about!

I love Venice too!

Have a great trip and thanks for the help!

Karen
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Surlok,

That's a very interesting itinerary (I mean that in a good way)!

One comment though: you need to spend your first night in Granada - otherwise you won't get to see the Alhambra. Personally I'd actually spend 2 nights there, but other will disagree.

Also, don't forget to reserve your tickets to the Alhambra beforehand:
http://www.alhambratickets.com/

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Andre,

I just realized my plan is not feasible. I can't fly from Lisbon to Malaga unless connecting via Madrid. This would take at least 5 hours, so no way I can do it in a single day.

Therefore, I won't be seeing Alhambra this time. I'll save it for another trip.

Anyway, thanks for the advise.

Karen,

For a 10 days trip, I think Lisbon doesn't fit. I just confirmed that there are no direct flights from Lisbon to Sevilla, or Malaga, what makes things a little more difficult.

It will be my first time in Andalucia, but I have been to Barcelona 3 times already. However, my daughter hasn't. In fact, I love Barcelona and it will be great to show her around.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Bummer - so what are you doing instead?

Andre
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I'll stay 3 nights in Lisbon, fly to Sevilla, connecting in Madrid. I'll stay 6 nights in Sevilla, fly to barcelona, stay 3 nights, then Venice for 4 nights, then home.

I don't plan to travel by train unless for day trips, without luggage, Andre. I did it before, and it's not my thing. I also hate to check in wherever is, to stay for a night or two. For me, it has to be a 3 nights stay before I move.

One has to figure out the ideal pace for a trip to enjoy it. Through the years and all my travels, this is my ideal formula. No rush, not too much planning and schedules, not too many "grandeur " things to see, and a lot of local atmosphere and easy walkings.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Surlok,

Sounds like a great trip to me! You could even catch the Alhambra by taking a (long) day tour from Sevilla:
http://www.galeon.com/visitours/english/granada.html

Buen viaje!
Andre
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Muchas gracias, Andre!