Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cesky Krumlov to Budapest....hassle? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cesky-krumlov-to-budapest-hassle-637310/)

randomaussie Aug 7th, 2006 10:36 AM

Cesky Krumlov to Budapest....hassle?

I'll be in Cesky Krumlov in late August. Originally, I was going to return to Prague and then carry on the Budapest, but I don't like the prospect of backtracking that much.

I've looked on Bahn.de, and I know a train to Budapest from Cesky Krumlov is feasible. Has anyone done this route? It is worth the extra hassle of changes, etc?

I'd appreciate suggestions. Cheers!

Jen.

SAnParis Aug 7th, 2006 11:05 AM

I would check the times but I suspect it may be faster to go back through Prague - otherwise do you go through Ceske Budovice ?

Christina Aug 7th, 2006 11:39 AM

I don't know what you are seeing, but in terms of timing, I don't think it matters whether you go back to Prague or not. You will get to Budapest about the same time. It's just a matter of whether you want a faster train back to Prague, and then down again, or if you want a slow regional train across the CR to Brno, which is where you catch a nonstop to Budapest down in Moravia. The time takes about the same because they have much faster trains to/from Prague than the ones going between Ceske Budejovice and Brno, for example.

Either way, you have to change trains -- only once is possible both ways. That is assuming you take a taxi to Ceske Budejovice train station either way, which is the best idea. Cesky Krumlov is not a good place to be making any long distance trains from.

so, number of changes and time doesn't distinguish the two methods.

You can either take a nonstop from Ceske Budejovice to Brno (8:12 am to 12:34), then Brno to Budapest (15:17-19:22), or you can take a nonstop from Ceske Budejovice to Prague (8:30-10:57 then from Prague to Budapest (12:40-19:22). So, either way you have one change and get there at the same time and start around the same time. I'd go through Brno, myself. It will probalby be cheaper, also. There is a later NS from CB to Prague, but it allows you only one minute for the transfer, which isn't something I would risk, especially at a large train station.

Those times are weekday, it may be different depending when you plan to do this.

So what were you comparing?

SAnParis Aug 7th, 2006 12:10 PM

Christina - what website are you using ? I don't have anything for the CZ. (For future reference of course) Thx, S.

Christina Aug 7th, 2006 12:21 PM

well, for that info I just used the bahn.de website. I do use the Czech train website sometimes, but I'm not sure it is in English. I know some Czech, so can use it in Czech. You can try it -- it's www.cd.cz

SAnParis Aug 7th, 2006 12:26 PM

Thx, didn't think about bahn.de...

InMiami Aug 14th, 2006 08:50 AM

Randomaussie; I am also going to Cesky, in my case on the way from Linz to Prague. Are you going for just the day? I was originally going for 2 nights but that may be too long. What have you decided to do?

SAnParis Aug 14th, 2006 08:56 AM

Last time we were there we actually extended our stay to 3 nights in lieu of spending as much time in Vienna. It is a lovely area, & we loved to just hang out & picnic by the river every day.