Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cesky Krumlov- So many small Hotels/Pensions/B&B's - Need Your Recommendations Please!

Search

Cesky Krumlov- So many small Hotels/Pensions/B&B's - Need Your Recommendations Please!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM
HappyCheesehead

Will be in CK over the Easter weekend. There are SO MANY little places to stay, I need some reommendations. I do not think any are too expensive, so I am looking for a centrally located place, clean but with some character. One of the old buildings would be great, but the accomodations inside should be special.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:11 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Pension Barbakan was our pick !<BR>Quaint,yes! Special, not really.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:37 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:25 PM
helpMe.....

Everyone loves CK- So I KNOW some of you have slept there!! Come On.... Name a few great places to stay!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Barb

In August we stayed at the Hotel Ruze in CK. We found the hotel charming and the room was lovely. The location was great also. As another plus, I booked a massage in their spa. It was the most amazing 1 hr. massage I've ever had and it cost only $30!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Julie

Wish I could provide a fellow cheesehead more and better help but I'm not close to my travel books just now. Anyway, we stayed at the Zlaty Andel, a small hotel directly on the central square of CK. The rooms were nice but relatively modernized. Place was less than $100 if I recall correctly. The most charming thing was the upstairs breakfast room with antique funishings. Not special, I guess, but very nice and very comfortable. The Ruze is probably about twice the price of the Zlaty Andel and somewhat more characterful. It's central but also larger and more hotel-like. When we were unable to continue in our room at the Zlaty Andel for our last night in CK we found a little pension across the street from the back of the ZA called Pension Vltava. It was spic and span, up two flights, had an entry, a nice bath with shower, a large bedroom with seating (sort of a junior suite), a window that looked out on the little square area the building faced, and furnishings that were vintage 1920's art deco--for $27 per night. Least expensive place I've ever stayed. Nice. Special, actually maybe.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Deb

I also stayed at zlatky andel or Hotel golden angel. I had a room in the new section so it was more modern. The hotel is right on the square and very inexpensive.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:06 AM
julie

From a Minnesotan. We stayed at the Na Louzi when we were there. A charming little place right in the heart of CK. We never thought we'd find it with our car because all the signs say no cars, pedestrians only. Atmospheric and in a very old building. Our room was cute and quaint, but very tiny. Inexpensive too. An atmospheric family owned place with a restaurant on the 1st floor that served really good and cheap food. No common lobby area or anything like that. It's your room or the downstairs restaurant/pub. But, we enjoyed spending an evening there with the other guests and restaurant patrons. We were there in the height of summer and it was a very popular place--we wanted to extend a day but they were all booked. Even if you don't stay there, try their jam filled dumplings--they are to die for. Check out their web-site.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:41 AM
HappyCheesehead

I knew I could count on the Fodors posters! It pays to top. Julie - I do recall you traveled CZ at Easter time. We plan on being in CK on actual Easter and are hoping that it will not be shut up tight as a drum. If anyone else has recommendations I would be glad to hear them! I hope it is not too late to get a reservation somewhere. We did have out Austria/CZ trip planned out and just changed it all last week.

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Czech this place out!!<BR>Penzion Falko<BR>Rooseveltova 153,381 01 Cesky Krumlov<BR>Tel/fax 00-420-337-71 62 62<BR>It's on the fringe of the old town, perhaps a brisk (on cobblestones)four minute walk from the castle, yet not on the main tourist path. It fronts on an old street, with parking behind the building off the 2nd story on a &quot;modern&quot; street. Nice breakfast. Seems it cost about $35 or so for wife &amp; me. There was a hotel maybe 200 feet closer to castle, but it cost considerably more for what benefits?<BR>Pleasant manageress; spoke enough English for us to communicate.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From 1 cheesehead to another:<BR><BR>We were in C.K. early last June. We wanted to stay in something special other the expensive Dvorak or Ruze. I researched them all like you and decided on Dum Vaclava. We hit a bullseye! They had only 3 rooms but were remodeling 3 more at the time. It is a perfect location down a side street ( Nove Mesto ) around the corner from the castle entrance. The owner speaks 4 languages and they waited on us hand and foot. The breakfast room in the lower level was charming with classical musik and a fire every morning. Huge room with a poster bed queen size, satin sheets and huge new bath with large tub, all tiled. This room was a real treat for $75. No on site restaurant but there are many within a block or 2. The rooms clearly had a woman's touch. We would not hesitate to return and yes this place had character. She has a place to park an auto with permit. The online photos were not deceiving. Book it Dano!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Hardwater- Do you by chance have any sort of email contact that you saved for Dum Vaclava? I have emailed them, (More than once)from their website, but have received no response. Perhaps they are booked up for my dates, but still, I would think they would send a quick reply. Hope you see this!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I used the web address like you and she sent me back a reply in about a week that she had the room for the dates we wanted about 4 mos. before we left. She travels out of town a bit too. I sent a mail 1 mo. and 2 weeks to confirm prior to leaving but never received response. From experience about reserving rooms in Europe I did not fret, we showed up and bingo of course they had our room! Perhaps due to the flooding which much the city was under 6 feet of water including this place they are not open. The postal service was quite good ( post cds back to Wis. in 6 days) so I would write them a line and wait. It would be a shame if this place is temp. closed. You could also call the infocentrum directly for info only 2 gals spoke any english and they were not there always.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Hardwater - thanks for your info - I got an email, and you are right - she was out of town. Happily I now have a reservation in one of the rooms pictured on the website. Ok, now I guess I have to start a Cesky Krumlov restaurant thread! BTW, are you an Ice Fishing Person? I think you will be out on the Wisconsin lakes til at least July the way this winter is going, brrrrrr.......