Search

Cesky Krumlov or kutna Hora

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cesky Krumlov or kutna Hora

Hi all,

I will be in Prague in June for 2.5 days. Second time there so I was thinking of a day trip. Only have time for 1 day trip so should I do an all day to CK or the 5 hour tour to KH? Pros and cons of both and comparisons, if possible would be welcome. They both look interesting. Thanks in advance.
Pat
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM

Cesky Krumlov is a fairy tale city of great charm and beauty. You'd be a fool not to see it. It is one of my favourite places, and I have been to a lot of places, sweetie darling.

Thingorjus
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Hands down Cesky Krumlov. We were at both last May and found CK to be much more charming. If you had more time I would recommend both (as Kutna Hora is still worth a visit) but if you must choose, CK has much more to offer. Both are great to wander around but CK is much prettier - not only the town but the geography. The river snaking through town is just spellbinding. We found better restraunts in CK as well. We stayed at CK for three nights (did two day trips from there and spent the evenings in the old town) and two nights in Kutna Hora. One night would have been better.

The long drive to Kutna Hora just would not be worth it on a day trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. CK it is then.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kutna Hora: A dramatic cathedral, located about two uninspiring blocks from town center. Not much else. We dined on a pleasant outdoor patio area of a restaurant where we were introduced to the wonders of Krusovice.
I'm glad we saw the cathedral, but the only other photo we took was of the medieval town well.
Cesky Krumlov: pleasant winding walk on cobblestones thru center of town to the castle, which was a delight. Town itself, with winding river, is quite picturesque. I recommend this to you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM

I've been to both and liked both very much. I would probably also suggest CK as the top priority if you haven't seen it and it is June.

I don't understand the comment about the "long drive" to Kutna Hora by batraveler. It's only about an hour away (80 km) from Prague. I wonder if they are talking about the same place. Tomboy didn't go on a tour or find out about the town, apparently, so didn't visit much of interest. I know some people don't find a lot of things interesting I do, but there is a lot more to see than one cathedral, and it's a very pleasant city architecturally, and an important historical site in Czech history. It is a UNESCO heritage site for a reason. I've read posts from others who didn't know what to do there, but they never read a guidebook and went on their own, so had no idea. I think the Italian Court and the treasury/mint were very interesting, as well as many other buildings than just St Barbara's cathedral.

I would still suggest CK as the first choice in your case, though.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM

Sorry - I made a mistake! You are right - it is NOT a long drive from Prague to Kutna Hora. Don't know exactly what I was thinking...but we definitely are talking about the same place!