Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cesky Krumlov or Kutna Hora? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cesky-krumlov-or-kutna-hora-582231/)

americanlass Jan 16th, 2006 11:48 AM

Cesky Krumlov or Kutna Hora?

I want to take a day trip out of Prague, and I am trying to decide between Cesky Krumlov and Kutna Hora. The castle is closed in Cesky Krumlov this time of year--is it still worth going there? I would love your advice. Thank you!

tomboy Jan 16th, 2006 12:12 PM

Depends on your likes, dislikes, and tastes. The cathedral in Kutna Hora is a real feature but maybe you don't like cathedrals; without it, KH would hold much less interest. Ditto CK without the castle; nice town, but ....
Consider a day trip to Karlstein castle. If you've seen Prague Castle, you wouldn't see appreciably more in CK. Or consider Terezien.

suziecoyle Jan 16th, 2006 12:25 PM

Cesky Krumlov looks like a Disney World movie set. Medieval town, set on a river, with a castle up on top that you can walk to easily. I stayed here overnight a few years ago and I love architecture, and this place was fantastic.

Marija Jan 16th, 2006 12:46 PM

We did a day trip to Kutna Hora as part of a meeting excursion. Besides the church, we down into the silver mine. I was very pleased to get out of the silver mine alive, since it wasn't really tourist-safe by our standards. I wish we could have spent the day in Prague instead.

aeiger Jan 16th, 2006 01:11 PM

Hi
We/ve been to both Cesky Krumlov and Kutna Hora. Ceskey krumlov is worth more than one day. It's a historic city of the the castle is part of it.
we also enjoyed Kutna Hora, if you're planning one day, then Kutna Hora is closer and is very interesting. In addition to the cathedral, there is also an unusual sight, the ossury. It is sculted entirely out of bones and has been on tv. The silver mine was very good, though claustrophobic. My wife wouldn't visit it. It is not lit and becomes narrow in places. If you have a sense of history, it is a very interesting site. You carry a light with you and it does get scary but enjoyable. We have been to Prague and another suggestion might be Terazien. I have other places that we/ve visited but these are the best for 1 day.

aeiger Jan 16th, 2006 01:12 PM

Hi
Thinking cathedral but writing castle was a senior moment, sorry.

Christina Jan 16th, 2006 01:31 PM

I think we all sort of have different opinions here on this one. I've been to both and enjoyed both trips very much. I would not personally spend the time to visit Cesky Krumlov if the castle were closed. I might if it weren't such a major time investment. FYI, this exact question has been asked on here before, so you can probably read various persons' opinions on CK with and without castle if you search for that thread.

I also don't agree that there is nothing major to see in Kutna Hora other than the cathedral. There is lots more than that which I visited and enjoyed, just as much as the cathedral, and Kutna Hora is an important historical city and also a UNESCO heritage cite. I also enjoyed a mini-walking tour around the area to see some of the better architectural examples of buildings (I had a professional guide on a small tour with PIS). I did not care that much about nor see the bone church (which is really nearby in Sedlec). Aside from St Barbara's cathedral, there is the mining museum (and mine, as mentioned), St James Church and the Italian Court (which was one of the key sites of interest to me, and includes a coin museum). There are lots of other buildings of historic and architectural interest (Urseline convent, Jesuit college, prince's house, etc.), but these are mainly of interest if you like viewing things from the outside and walking around a town.

There are some things in CK other than the castle, of course -- museum, church and just walking around. It's just a long trip for a day trip without the key point of interest being open, I think. That castle really was worth seeing.