Ceremony of the Keys Tower of London

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 05:49 PM
bill

Ceremony of the Keys Tower of London

I have the address to request tickets but I`m not sure where to get the return postage on the envelope that is required. I went to my local post office and the didn`t have the ability or knowledge as to where to go for a stamp for the self-addressed stamped envelope. HELP!

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:25 PM
wes fowler

Bill,

You don't want a stamp, you want an International Reply coupon which your post office will have. Here's some more information that might be of interest.

The Ceremony of the Keys, a 700 year old ritual, involves the nightly lockup of the Tower of London by its Warders. The ceremony is limited to small groups under the guidance of a Tower Warder and is by advanced reservation only. If you'd like to view the ceremony, pick up an International Reply Coupon at your post office. Include it in your request mailed to:

Ceremony of the Keys
2nd Floor
Waterloo Block
HM Tower of London
EC3N4AB

In your letter, include the International Reply coupon, indicate preferred dates you would like to view the ceremony; be sure to list alternate dates. Indicate the number of persons in your party and their names and addresses. Include a self addressed envelope measuring at least 5"x9" for the tickets. Expect a four to six week delay before receiving the tickets.

When you arrive at the outer gates of the Tower, to gain a better viewing position, you have two options: at the extreme left of everyone at the cobblestone line by the Bloody Gate so you can see the middle part of the ceremony where the distant outer gates are locked, or dead center at the Bloody Gate where the first and last parts of the ceremony take place.

For the last part, when the Yeoman instructs you to follow him, do so as closely as possible to see the end of the ceremony.

For the dialogue involved and pertinent information regarding the ceremony, check the website:

www.vichotel.demon.co.uk/pages/ceremony.html

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:52 PM
markizzy

We got tickets during my honeymoon 2 years ago, based on a reccommendation from this site, and it was one of the highlights. There were only 8 others and the Yeoman tell such great stories. I'm a real history buff, and had been to the Tower before (my wife's first time) and going at night, knowing this is a 900 year old ceremony was riveting.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:23 PM
Rose

You need an international reply coupon and not all post offices have them. You can check with your local post office and if they don't have any they can call other local post offices to find who has them. I have been to this ceremony twice and its not to be missed.
Enjoy!

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Cj

It is my understanding that you will need TWO International Reply Coupons. I have attended this wonderful ceremony and would highly recommend it. If this is your first trip to the Tower of London I would suggest planning a trip to the Tower during the daylight hours prior to Ceremony of the Keys. As during the ceremony (in addition to it being dark!!) you will get to see a very small portion of the Tower.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Dru

On our trip to London in May, we are planning on visiting the Tower & seeing the Ceremony of the Keys that same night (will be sending for tickets soon). We are planning on getting to the Tower early in the am (advise from this forum). I realize the Tower is awesome & you can spend a lot of time there, but is there enough to see to keep us there all day & into the night (prior to the ceremony)?? If not, any suggestions on how to spend some time in the general area of the Tower so that we can be back to see the ceremony? (this is one of my loose ends that I have not tied up yet). Thanks!