Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you been to Tuscany in the fall? Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, Happy Thanksgiving!

We got back from England about 6 weeks ago, and what a wonderful trip it was, with your help!! I owe you all a trip report which I will do by January. Truly, I don't know how anyone ever planned a trip before these boards existed.

Anyway, I am already thinking ahead to 2010! We've decided we would like to see Tuscany. I can figure out 2 blocks of time of about 2 weeks, one at the end of September trailing into the first 5 days of October ~ OR ~ the other the second and third week in November.

We will be flying into Rome, and we plan to stay for a week at Terre di Nano. The rest of the time somewhere in the area between Montichiello and Rome.

Is it still fairly hot at the end of September? We prefer temps a little on the cool side, especially at night (no AC @ TDN) I get really cranky if I get hot. Still crowded then?

I've read that November is quite a bit rainier, anyone been there then?

Which is the better time for festivals, harvests etc?

I realize no weather is certain, just wondering what everyone's experience has been.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM

We've been to Italy at the end of September a number of times. The weather is quite variable, ranging from pretty warm (high 70s) to cool, and there can be some heavy rain sometimes. It's truly a time to plan for anything, so dress with layers, and bring a raincoat on the plane.

The compensations are fewer tourists, plus porcini mushrooms and lovely truffles as you get into October.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi wrenwood,

I have no reason to suppose that it won't be lovely - we went to Florence at the end of October 3 years ago and we were able to eat outside every night as well as lunchtimes.

have a great trip

regards, ann
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We usually travel in the last two weeks of October and have been very lucky with the weather over many years. Fewer tourists than September, I suppose, but still crowded. If you want fewer tourists and don't care as much about warm weather, I'd go in November. But no festivals in November that I know of.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
But no festivals in November that I know of.>>

I think that there are festivals in the Piedmonte region in October/november - there's a thread about it at the moment. it sounds a great place to go in the Autumn and far less crowded than Tuscany.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I have visited the Val d'Orcia area (staying just outside of Pienza) twice during the last week of Sept/first week of Oct. Both times it was 75-80 degrees during the day and 50's at night. I was never uncomfortable with the temps. I never experienced any crowds. It is a great time to visit the area.

I have been 3 times during the last 2 weeks of May. This is my favorite time to visit beause the weather is great, everything is so green and the days are long. No crowds.

I have future plans to vist during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November to experience the food and the terrific 2 week truffle festival in nearby San Giovanni d'Asso and the surrounding area. Lots of activities based on food- mushrooms, fresh olive oil, wine, hunted game and of course, fresh, lovely, incredible truffles- as well as art, photography and hiking. This is the fall celebration time for the locals. My Italian friends tell me it is a fantastic time to visit.

The weather during November is usually in the 60's during the day and down to the low 40's at night. Daylight is shorter in November. I have been following the weather in Pienza for the last few weeks and it has only rained a few times. It seems they have had a great weather this November. Of course, you never know about next November!

I hope this has helped.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I froze in Tuscany the mid-September 2008. Everyone had on winter coats. The hill towns I visited were deserted.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM

I have been to Tuscany several times around end Sept./beg. Oct. The weather was mostly glorious each time. We had no rain, sunny cool weather and gorgeous blue skies. Upon spending several last days in Rome however at that time it was indeed too warm for me.

I was in Tuscany also last year from Nov. 5-14 and the weather was again just perfect. The only rain we had were our last two days around the Lucca area but even that was beauty in its own right. I much prefer these times of year since during the summer, or even in May/June it would be really too hot and too crowded with tourists for our taste.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM

I am here now - the weather has been beautiful - nearly 70 degrees yesterday. We did have an early cold snap in September - but overall it has been pretty dry so far (for this time of year). Don't think that will last much longer.

One poster said be ready for anything weather wise - I think that is true - the weather can change very fast here and you can go plus or minus 30 degrees (or more) in a day.

September, grape harvest and wine festivals (many people picked well into October this year), October/November Olive harvest, olio nuovo (http://tuscanyrentdirect.blogspot.co...olive-oil.html), and truffles. It is a wonderful time to be in Tuscany, but the weather will always be different!
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Sorry I left a broken link above and I see there is no edit - the site with the olive oil article is
http://tuscanyrentdirect.blogspot.co...olive-oil.html
Also, I see someone says no festivals in November above - there is a huge truffle festival in San Miniato in November - the last 3 weekends of the month every year. A must do if you like truffles.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I think I'm starting to feel more comfortable with November. Probably more of a risk weather wise than September - October, but the cooler temperatures, lack of crowds and truffle festival are enticing. Giorgio at TDN also mentioned the truffle festival in San Giovanni d'Asso in November.

Thanks InFlorence for the link, it looks like there might be some festivals featuring fresh olive oil, seems the olives are harvested in November.

I also found more information on the truffle festivals if anyone is interested

http://www.arttrav.com/day-trips/truffles-and-terme/

http://goitaly.about.com/od/festival...ffle_fairs.htm

We also could stay at TDN for 5 nights in mid October, I'm just thinking that the area around Terre di Nano deserves a week.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM

We stayed in Pienza Nov. 5-8 this year and loved it. Lots of burgundy and gold colors in the vineyards and on the trees. Olives being harvested. It got dark early - around 4pm - so our day trips had to end early. I think this had more of an impact on our trip than the weather - it rained at night but never during the day. The day we went to Siena was gray and drizzly but we were mainly indoors doing museums that day anyway. Temperature was great for strolling - even at night. We loved the fact that there weren't many other tourists around.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM

We went to Italy 2 years in a row both trips the 1st week of November - 2005/2006 - lots of sunshine and warm! It must
have been 70-75 both trips. 1st trip 7 days in Rome - rain on last day as we were leaving - 2nd trip Florence - Ancona - Assisi - Rome - rain one ight in Rome.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I never thought of getting dark that early ~ 4:00???? I can see how that would affect day trips!

Not sure I like that aspect................
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In mid-September, it was dark by 7:00.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

I was just looking on a website, it looks like they have Daylight Savings time also ~ ended this year on Sunday Oct 25

So best Autumn daylight hours would be before then. Not a problem if one is in a city doing museums and stuff, but for taking day trips in the countryside, daylight hours seem an important consideration.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 07:15 AM

It does indeed get dark by 4 or 5 pm in November in Italy and most of this past November, it was quite rainy (November is typically Italy's best chance for getting rain.). Unless the main reason for your visit to Tuscany is new wine and olive oil, go in October (when you will still find plenty of festivals).
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a link to a sunrise/sunset calculator and world clock.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM

We just spent October in Florenc and it was glorious. Once Nov 1 came, the weather turned colder, rainer and less sunny. All is relative though as I like cooler weather but rainy cooler is not pleasant. I would go Sept/Oct.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 01:37 AM

I experienced just the opposite of jan47ete. Spent 4 days
in Rome Nov. 13-17 and it was balmy only requiring a light
fleece jacket & eating outside every day so the weather
can truly vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -