Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Central London Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/central-london-hotels-1023688/)

Cliff09 Aug 22nd, 2014 01:38 PM

Central London Hotels

Three of us are looking to go to London in mid November and would like to stay central maybe near Victoria? Naturally we would like to avoid high priced hotels and spend our money outside of the accomodations. Any suggestions?

BigRuss Aug 22nd, 2014 02:08 PM

<<Naturally we would like to avoid high priced hotels and spend our money outside of the accomodations [sic].>>

Instead of berating you for being vague, failing to define a budget, and omitting who the "three of us" are (kids? all adults?) such that it can be determined what bedding arrangements would work, I'd point you to londontown.com and its interactive hotel map that includes prices.

Dukey1 Aug 22nd, 2014 04:06 PM

If it were me with the conditions you have set, I'd also try to stay within walking distance of an Underground station or at least near a bus stop.

janisj Aug 22nd, 2014 05:15 PM

>>Naturally we would like to avoid high priced hotels<<

Wouldn't we all(!?).

What is your actual budget (I'll do the berating that BigRuss didn't :) ) W/o knowing your budget and how many beds you need we can't be of much help.

>> I'd also try to stay within walking distance of an Underground station or at least near a bus stop.<<

Hardly an issue -- there are very VERY few hotels anywhere in central London that would be far from public transport.

Rubicund Aug 23rd, 2014 01:34 AM

As well as the website Russ mentions, you can also try:

www.lastminute.com
www.laterooms.com

You can search these sites by area and price.

cgreer426 Aug 23rd, 2014 09:14 AM

I have used Hotels.com for years and haven't had a bad place yet. I'm not a fan of the Victoria area -- no real reason, just didn't care for it much. South Kensington is great, a little pricey. I just booked a room for October in the Holborn area, which looks like a great location. It's $200/night, which is really $250 after taxes. I saw a place called the Mad Hatter that looked cool and was reasonable, but it's south of the river (barely), and my husband didn't want to do that. Good luck!

Cliff09 Aug 25th, 2014 08:09 AM

Sorry for my abject vagueness. The three of us are Myself and wife and 21yo son budget would be max $250US/night Not familair with London would like to be near a tube stop. Did contact londontown and was impressed with their response. Looking for some favorites from other travellers. Will be more specific with future posts.

janisj Aug 25th, 2014 08:23 AM

US$250 = approx £150 which is OK but not all that much for a triple.

You might want to consider renting a flat instead. You can get more space, often for less $$/££ than a cramped hotel room (London hotel rooms tend to be small and your budget won't stretch to two rooms)

How many nights?