Paris ComboPass vs Musuem Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like any and all opinions on whether we should purchase the Paris ComboPass (4 day premium) or the Musuem Pass? We will be in Paris for 6 days total.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM

At 72 euros for 2-day the ComboPass will likely be far more expensive than what the average tourist will do in two days vs a 2-day Museum Pass - I guess ComboPass is the new name of Paris Visite, a pass hawked to naive foreign tourists as covering so much but of which many folks will never use.

a carnet of metro tickets or a Navigo for transports and a museum pass is the best deal I think - keep in mind on Sundays many museums are half off (Louvre free 1st Sunday on month I think) and some are closed on Tuesdays (Versailles Monday i think).
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM

Many cities have some type of passes for tourists including various things (often museums and transportation), and some are good deals and many are not. Usually the good ones are sold by the city, of course, as they include govt things.

The Paris VIsite is simply a transportation pass, that's all, so this could not possibly be it. Furthermore, the very word "combo" implies it is several things, not just one such as trasportation. PalenQ is mistaken in claiming the Paris Visite covers "so much" as it is just a metro pass. Furthermore, the Paris Visite is at least sold by the city, these other gimmicks are not, like this one which is a private product sold by Conciergerie.com, which is quite clear on the website.

it is totally ridiculous in cost, as a word of advice, don't buy any passes sold by private parties or private companies.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:04 PM

Oops I did mean the Paris Pass and not Paris Visite - thanks Christina for correcting moi on that!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM

I have heard of the Paris Pass (a colossal waste of money) and the Paris Museum Pass (possibly useful for those who are passionate about museums) and even the Paris Visite (an overpriced transportation option covering only central Paris in the format available here) but I have never heard of a Paris ComboPass until now.

Take a look at the what this pass covers and where you want to go. You´ll probably save a bunch of euros avoiding this product and simply purchasing entrances to where it is you specifically want to see. The Paris Visite Pass does is not available in either a 4 or 6 day format so it´s not clear what a 6 day Combopass consists of. For transportation options costing a great deal less, look at books of 10 individual, single ride tickets for 13.30€ or a Monday to Sunday unlimited ride pass for about 20€ (called the Navigo Découverte).
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM

The four day museum pass is 54€. Assuming you will visit sufficient number of museums and value being able to avoid waiting in line that may be reasonable.

The 4 day premium ComboPass is 112.90€. For the 58.90€ additional above the Museum Pass price you get 4 days of transit plus some pretty worthless add on items. So you'd be paying ~14.75€/day for transit. That's not reasonable.

Alternatives:
Daily Mobilis pass at 6.40€ per day

Weekly Navigo Decouverte pass for 19.80€ (plus 5€ if you do not already have the plastic card on which the electronic pass gets loaded) which works out to 4.95€ per day if used for only 4 days, 3.30€ if used for six days. The thing with the Navigo Decouverte is that it runs only Monday through Sunday and is only sold until Thursday of the week in which it is valid, so if your visit straddles two weeks it may not be your best option - though even buying two Navigo Decouverte passes would still be less than the ComboPass. Or, depending on your scheudle, you could buy a Navigo and supplement with Mobilis or individual tickets and still come out ahead in terms of cost.

You also have the option to just buy single ride tickets at a cost of 13.30€ for a carnet of 10.

My personal bias is that having a transit pass which allows great flexibility to jump on and off transit (especially buses) at whim is worth the cost.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:11 AM

If you like to walk however central Paris to me at least is eminently walkable - most sights within a few-mile radius. May not need much of a transit pass at all depending on what you consider to be walkable!