Reload this Page >

Celluar Phone for Europe

Search

Celluar Phone for Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:35 AM
richard

Celluar Phone for Europe

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search on Cellular Phones, and got that nasty "timed out" message. <BR> <BR>I'm going to Germany, France, Italy, and Switzerland. I'll be there for 20 nights. I tried for a cellulal rental companies that cover Europe, but the prices where high, and they have a minimum number of minutes daily. It would have cost $300-$400 for the 3 weeks. <BR>Is there any way to buy a phone over there, pay for the minutes that you use, and not have to sign a contract?? We have services in the US like that (Cricket). <BR>Anyone have any suggestions?? My whole trip is by car, and I'd feel more comfortable having a phone for emergencies!! <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>Richard

Old May 13th, 2001, 06:39 AM
TZ

I purchased an Ericcson T28 world phone here in the states recently. It is a 900/1900 band phone so it will work both here and in Europe. Pricing is the same for airtime the same as a regular phone in the US but more in Europe when roaming. Check with you local carrier to see if they offer international roaming and what the rates might be. We will be in Europe for a month and if we don't get to gabby we should be able to control the cost...

Old May 13th, 2001, 06:44 AM
richard

I thought I read a post here, some time ago, where someone bought a cheap phone for Europe, and basically threw it in a drawer when he got home--- <BR>anyone know of a non-contract service in Europe?

Old May 13th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Dean Hughson

I have a Nextel that I bought which costs 99 cents or $1.99 a minute//depending on country. But I wouldn't do that again...you can buy phones there cheaper. When I was in London I bought from Vodaphone a cheap phone that works in Europe and can be recharged at places by using time you buy. Dean

Old May 13th, 2001, 02:03 PM
ger

Richard: <BR> <BR> <BR>I topped previous discusssion of the topic for you which should appear some time soon. <BR> <BR>I contacted my service provider and purchased a tri-band phone that will work everywhere but Brazil & Japan. It's a Nokia (8890 I think, and WAS expensive but cheaper options are now available). When in Europe, I am charged a connection fee and long distance charges - these have not proved to be excessive and I have found that some networks don't charge back at all. <BR> <BR>Another option is to purchase a phone in Europe that takes the "pay as you buy" cards. The charges vary by country based on competitive environment. <BR> <BR>Regards

Old May 13th, 2001, 02:07 PM
ger

SORRY IF THIS APPEARS TWICE ..... <BR> <BR>Richard: <BR>I topped previous discusssion of the topic for you which should appear some time soon. <BR> <BR>I contacted my service provider and purchased a tri-band phone that will work everywhere but Brazil & Japan. It's a Nokia (8890 I think, and WAS expensive but cheaper options are now available). When in Europe, I am charged a connection fee and long distance charges - these have not proved to be excessive and I have found that some networks don't charge back at all. <BR> <BR>Another option is to purchase a phone in Europe that takes the "pay as you buy" cards. The charges vary by country based on competitive environment. <BR> <BR>Regards

Old May 13th, 2001, 04:45 PM
ginny

Look into AT&T World Connect. If you have a cell phone that you use here in the states then it is just a matter of purchasing a chip that is inserted in your phone. We did this when we went to Ireland and Wales this past September and it was great. The phone number is the one that you have here in the states so anyone who needs or wants to get in touch with you simply dials your regular cell phone number. We had a Nokia.

Old May 13th, 2001, 04:53 PM
anon

Sorry for the ano.name, but I don't want to be spammed or worse. <BR>Why do you need a celluar phone? You are on vacation, is someone in your family dying? Forget your office , you will live longer and they will survive. I have a pact with my family even if someone has died don't tell me. I have to get away from my business , don't tell me abut problems, if your employess have any qualifications at all you will let them solve the problems. Chill out , you'll come back a better person. <BR>

Old May 13th, 2001, 04:58 PM
anon

Why do I need a phone? Maybe our lives are not as dispensible as yours. <BR> <BR>Personally - I have two children that will be at camp while I am away. God forbid there is a problem and I need to be reached I want to be reached immediately. Not take a chance leaving a message at a small hotel and NOT waiting until I get home. <BR> <BR>Is that ok anon?

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Fred

I've nad no experience with cell phones there but here are a bunch of places to contact and ask: <BR>OMNIPOINT <BR>Tel: 1-877-OMNI-2-GO <BR> <BR>CELLHIRE <BR>45 Broadway, 20th Floor <BR>New York, NY 10006 <BR>Tel: (212) 376 7373 <BR>Fax: (212) 376 7383 <BR>Toll Free number : 1-888-476-7368 <BR>http://www.CellHire.com/ <BR>This one can be used from any country <BR> <BR>Rent-a-Cell Express <BR>Suite 440 <BR>116 bis Ave des Champs Elysees <BR>75008 Paris <BR>Tel: 011-33-1-53-93-78-00 <BR>Works all over Europe <BR>Reserve from here <BR> <BR> <BR>International Phone Rentals <BR>1-888-252-4837 <BR> <BR>Univercell <BR>Tel" 877-991-CELL. <BR> <BR>Rentaphone <BR>Tel: 888-309-8560 <BR>They will deliver the phone to you before you leave. <BR> <BR>FONEHOUSE (sp?) <BR>at different locations in Paris <BR>One of them is Rue des Mathurins near Rue Auber. <BR> <BR>GLOBAL PHONEWORKS: <BR>Tel: (800) 556-0530 <BR> <BR>CELLULAR PHONES: http://www.kemwel.com/index.html <BR> <BR>ACTION CELLULAR RENT-A-PHONE: <BR>Tel: 415 929-0400 <BR>For Paris information e-mail me.

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:49 PM
anon

Ah Typical American Momism,, if you are so worried about your children, take them with you, Maybe their horizons will be expnded. If you are out of touch for a few hours what difference will it be.Do you not trust the place you are leaving them? <BR>My cildren were in Uk by themselves for 5 years while we were in India, they are no better or no worse than the typical pampered American child.

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:31 PM
richard

Anon---you're not helping anyone here with your comments---why don't you find a thread that you can contribute to. <BR>I want a cellphone, because I'll be driving my new car in 4 countries that I don't know my way around, and in an emergency, I want to be able to get help quickly. Is tnat American "mornism?"

Old May 13th, 2001, 11:07 PM
Andrea

I've shared my info before on cell phones.Europe is way ahead of US on this one!I bought a comple cell phone w/recharger for abou $40 two years ago in Spain-Siemens.No contract,got a couple of thousand free minutes thrown in as a bonus.Buy the calling cards w/ micro chip in the middle,put it in back of phone and you are all set for all of Europe.The biggest plus is that you do NOT get charged for incoming calls.You are told when you need to replace the chip,it goes for quite a while.I have used it two years in a row and it was the best investment I ever made.Don't rent the cell phones,that seems to be the latest come on w/car rentals.You can buy ? phones for the amount they are trying to charge!