cell phones usable in Paris

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cell phones usable in Paris

I would like to be able to keep up with my two adult grandchildren while we are in Paris as they speak no French and I'd like for them sitll to be able to go where they wish. Can I buy a two phones in the states that are usable in Paris or can I rent them in Paris. Any ideas?
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Can I buy a two phones in the states

Yes

The phones must be unlocked, tri or quad band GSM phones. They typically sell on eBay from about $50.

Those using AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon (not sure about all of the Verizon phones) may be able to activate their US plans for use in Europe. There are advantages (simplicity) and disadvantages (airtime costs) to this approach.

can I rent them in Paris

I recommend against rentals. Often the end cost is open ended and there are really a number of better options.

You should do a forum search about this subject as much has already been written. However, this website offers some interesting ideas:

http://www.callineurope.com/
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Tri- or quad-band phones are not necessary in Europe. All that is required is that the phones have 900mHz and 1800 mHz capability.

Several Fodorites have recommended the Pack Lite package from Telestial.com: phone, charger, SIM, airtime, $39 postpaid.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM
tod

Hi,
We take our everyday Nokia phones with us - they have been what is called "unlocked".
Upon arrival after checking in we make a beeline for the large FNAC MOBILE on the Champs Elysees. I do not have the street number unfortunately but it's right where all the busy shops are and very near MacDonald's.
Here they will in a matter of 10minutes or so, sell you a SIMcard. They will even put it into your phone and dial the number you are given to check it's all working fine.
Please remember if you go this route to take positive ID like a passport ( we take a certified copy) and our driving license.
Donot throw away the hard plastic cover, Instead write your new phone numbers on the back ( or inside on the sales receit) and put it back in your suitcase. This may come in handy if numbers are forgotten or cellphones lost.
I also bring the SIMcard back home with me in the plastic cover and next time see if I can get it re-instated by just topping it up. I think their may be a time lapse thing here and it may not work but worth a try.

With this purchase, around 39euros you also get 5 euro credit to start you off, 2 euro credit for text messages, and 'Votre re`pondeur gratuit en acces illimite`' whatever that means!
It's easy to do a top-up and buy airtime at any good Tabac.

You are a very caring gran and a very wise one too!
Happy travels - have fun!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Tri- or quad-band phones are not necessary in Europe.

Obviously if yettb611 buys the phones in the US, they must be tri or quad band phones. It would be difficult (not impossible) to purchase only 900mHz and 1800 mHz phones in the US.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:13 AM

How is having cell phones in Paris going to alleviate the issue of your grandchildren going places without speaking French? I don't understand the underlying issue.

That said, if you already have tri- or quadband phones with Verizon or AT&T or maybe other carriers, just activate the international service and you'll be fine. My Blackberry works all over the world - for a price. It's easier than a rental, IMO.

As Sarastro says, there are a gazillion threads on here about cell phones with a lot of excellent, detailed information.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I think that since the original poster asked this question at all it means things need to be kept simple and not getting which bands you need, buying things from eBay that may or may not be unlocked and then getting SIMs etc. etc.

Keep it simple. Someone has recommended Telestial. They are likely fine. I use callineurope.com and find them just what I need... SIMPLE, easy to use and economical.
Turn on the phone once in Europe and it works.

Rob
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:26 AM

I followed PP recommendation, got a phone and a SIM card from callineurope and took it to Spain.
Worked fine. We'll be taking the same phone to Paris next months.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Sarastro on Apr 5, 09 at 11:03 AM

Tri- or quad-band phones are not necessary in Europe.

Obviously if yettb611 buys the phones in the US, they must be tri or quad band phones. It would be difficult (not impossible) to purchase only 900mHz and 1800 mHz phones in the US.

No, it's not at all "obviously" anything.

IF THEY BUY THE $39 PHONE FROM TELESTIAL.COM OR MOBAL.COM'S $49 PHONE - IN THE UNITED STATES - THEY WILL GET A 2-BAND EUROPE PHONE. GET IT?

(I'm shouting because I think Sarastro may have a hearing impairment.)
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Firstly, in my original response I pointed out that phones can be purchased on eBay and should be tri or quad band phones as among those generally offered for sale on eBay the 850 and 1900 mHz variety will not work in Europe.

Secondly, I quite clearly state that it is possible to purchase 900 and 1800mHz phones but these do not represent the bulk of what is widely sold in the US.

Thirdly, text in capital letters and bold face is indicative of a keen absence of seasoned judgment and a general lack of common courtesy. Posts such as this have no place in a constructive exchange of ideas on this or any other forum on the internet.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM

If your grandchildren already have cell phones (and I am guessing that they do), they may be able to use their current phones in Europe. My suggestion is that your first step would be to have your grandchildren contact their current cell phone carriers and ask about use of their phones, under their current plans, in France.

I have an iPhone and I just used it in France with no problem. I called AT&T before I left and discovered that my plan included international roaming. After I landed in Paris, I simply turned on my phone and it automatically found service with a French carrier (Bougyes). I was able to make calls within Paris and also to the U.S. I did use my phone only for phone service, as data use under international roaming is extremely expensive.

If your grandchildren do not have international roaming under their current cell phone plans, they may be able to add it for a small fee.

If neither of those things work, than I would suggest following one of the excellent suggestions above.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Firstly, in my original response I pointed out that phones can be purchased on eBay and should be tri or quad band phones as among those generally offered for sale on eBay the 850 and 1900 mHz variety will not work in Europe.

Here are your exact words:

Sarastro on Apr 5, 09 at 09:14 AM

The phones must be unlocked, tri or quad band GSM phones.

This misinformation lends the impression that no other options exist.

p.s. OP doesn't have to buy unlocked phones - the only requirement is that they be unlocked before they can be used with any SIM but the original carrier's. Many phones can be unlocked free with instructions found on the internet.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Ah ha...such arguments are not necessary.

First of all, for the most part, scratch Verizon. It is not a gsm carrier which is what is used today for the most part in Europe. Assuming the OP was from the USA, the national gsm carriers whose phones probably work in Europe are AT&T and T Mobile USA.

Using AT&T (or T Mobile) international roaming is the easiest thing to do as long as the phones are either tri band or quad band which they likely are. Just call and activate international roaming on either and it's done. You retain your US mobile number but....

It is quite expensive...T Mobile $0.99/minute to make and receive calls while AT&T matches that for $5.99/month (otherwise $1.29/month)...so if one calls another, then both are out 99¢/minute or fraction there of. Obviously, you don't want to make too many calls at those rates. Text messaging works much cheaper (I am sure the grandchildren know all about text messaging). So this is the simplest solution and least hassle free but......expensive especially if you do much calling.

But there are other alternatives, especially if you have verizon or a non gsm carrier. Or even if you have a gsm carrier.

But instead of going through all of them, who is your home carrier and what kind of a phone to you have?
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM

T-Mobile gets 35¢ to send an SMS; receiving is free if your plan includes them.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Going back to the original post, I am still wondering how a cell phone is going to help ADULT grandchildren go where they wish in Paris. I'd say that at least 50% of the tourists in Paris do not speak a word of French, yet they all seem to be going exactly where they wish.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
tod

As a mom ( and recently Grandmom) I think what Yettb611 is trying to convey in her question to us all, is that she wants her grandchildren to be on the other end of a telephone at all times whilst in Paris so that if they have any problems whatsoever, they can call grandma and tell her where they are, what the problem is, and can she come to the rescue.
This connection by cellphone between all of them would give her peace of mind.

Am I right Grandma Yettb611????
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM

(otherwise $1.29/month)

Correction: (otherwise $1.29/minute)
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Calls placed under my international roaming plan with AT&T are indeed "expensive" - $1.27 per minute. But I only used my phone for 11 minutes...so the total phone expense for my trip was less than $20.

If Grandmere wants her grandkids to have a phone "just in case", and they can use their phones in Europe, I'd say the $1.27 a minute is worth avoiding the hassle it would be to procure another phone. But that's just me.