Cell phones/internet access in England

Nov 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Cell phones/internet access in England

I am headed to England soon and wanted to check cell phones and wifi service. I have an iphone-- will it cost me an arm and a leg to make a call from there? Is free wifi service common in Bath and London? If so, where is my best bet to find it? Thanks.
Jeanned
Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:10 AM

not sure on iphone, depending on time here you may need to buy local contract units. I'll answer this and stick your question at the top of the list

Wifi; depends on what you are used to. There is very limited street free wifi in England (unlike some countries) but you will find free wifi in some Hotels and some coffee shops/bars (you will also find some "International" hotel chains ripping you off for their wifi). There will be a sign up, do not assume "wifi" means free, also some train companies have free (but slow) wifi. Speeds vary, if you are from Korea then you will be amazed how slow it is but if from Portugal amazed. Best general speeds are London and cities around Leeds as per recent survey. Bath should be ok ish
Nov 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying at an apt. in London so I was hoping that I would be able to find wifi in a coffee shop, etc.. What do you mean by "there will be a sign up"?
Nov 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM

Almost all Mickey D's and Starbucks in London have free wifi.
Nov 3rd, 2010, 09:13 AM

Incidentally, I've done it several times and don't feel like going through the whole thing again but England is the best place in the world for local sim cards because you can't beat the price....they are FREE. Click on my name and find some recent posts answering questions about English sim cards and you'll see lots of great suggestions for handling the situation in London!
Nov 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM

"What do you mean by "there will be a sign up"?"

There will be a sign saying "free wi-fi".

As for free SIMs, first check that your phone is unlocked (not jail broke)
Nov 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

LOL alanRow!!! I completely misinterpreted this. I thought he meant the verb "to sign" up vs the noun "sign"... should have gone with correct grammer on this!