Reload this Page >

Cell phone rental at Frankfurt airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 01:20 AM
joann

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to rent a cell phone at Frankfurt airport? Leaving Oct 3 so need info asap. thank you!

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 03:04 AM
stacey

No specific info, but last year when I arrived I asked at the Budget rental office I was told that you could get them at the hotel that's attached to the airport. <BR> <BR>I checked out a few other options and found that it's cheaper to buy one. The average price to was about 60USD, then you buy individual chips in 50DM increments that go into the phone (kind of like using pre-paid calling cards). Many small towns have at least one phone store where you can do this. Good Luck!

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Ilene

You can rent an international cell phone in the U.S. & take it with you. The company name Record Phone Int'l 732-617-2100. The rates are great give them a call, they fed-ex phone to you.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Rex

Stacey: are you kidding me? That's how those work? Dohhh - - I feel like Homer Simpson! In almost every city in Europe I've been in this year (3 trips, totaling about 30 days), I see these stores on every corner - - worse than the Gap in Manhattan - - and I wondered why they don't give many details about the calling plan - - usually just so many pfennigs (or francs, or whatever) a minute. <BR> <BR>I have been repeatedly told the same thing when trying to rent a cell phone from a car rental company ("they're so cheap to buy, no one rents anymore"), but I just assumed that it would be a big headache, and bad economics to set up a calling plan for just a week or so. <BR> <BR>This is unbelievable! - - it will be my first stop, next trip! <BR> <BR>Why don't we have this in the US? <BR> <BR>Can anyone else confirm this? Sjoerd? <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Bob

Question: Do you want a cell phone in Europe to use to call the US? Or do you want a cell phone to use within Europe? You are not clear on that and you may be getting some bad advice. I usually rent from Omnipoint in the US and use the phone to call US while in Europe. Cost is $49.00 per month plus calls. It has worked well on two trips. If I can buy one while there for $60.00 and call US, I will do that. Does anyone know the correct answer?