Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Cell Phone info sounds WRONG on Paris.org

Cell Phone info sounds WRONG on Paris.org

Jan 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Cell Phone info sounds WRONG on Paris.org

As if I wasn't confused enough: On Paris Pages, Paris.org, they say that one can not just walk into a store in France and get a Sim card and minutes package at the same good rate that a French person can.

I had hoped to take my Italian Sagem cell phone to France, and just buy a Sim card and minutes while there. Am I nuts, or are they (Paris.org)? Here is a link to their info:
http://paris.org/Kiosque/nov03/cellularabroad.html1

Maybe this is just a push for one of their sponsors? Has anyone taken a cell phone from another country in Europe, such as Italy, as put in a French Sim card and payed a decent price, as well as for call minutes?

And will I need some sort of converter for Italian electrical outlets to French electrical outlets?

I thought I had this all figured out, but now I am confused. There are some very pricey Sim cards one can buy in the mail, but they seem to be expensive and have pretty crappy rates.

I could sure use some guidance. Merci.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM

That link didn't work for me, but this one did to get that same information:
http://paris.org/Sponsors/cellularabroad/

I have a thread on SlowTrav where I had previously asked about cell phones, and I've appended a similar question to my thread there, as one person had advised doing just that - buying a SIM card in Paris. This is significant to me as well.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I couldn't get your link to work, but is this it?

http://paris.org/Sponsors/cellularabroad/

<<obtaining a French SIM card is not as simple as just walking into a cell phone store in France and picking one up. You must have residency in France and demonstrate documentation to purchase one. If you have French relatives or friends, perhaps they can pick one up for you.>>

That is absolutely not true. I have bought SIM cards multiple times without ever having to show proof of residency in France.

This is an ad for cellularabroad, and they are apparently misleading people in order to get their business.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Marcy, thank you so much. At what type of store can I get a Sim card and minutes package in Paris?

And what about the electricity? Are outlets the same in France and Italy?

WillTravel: you help so many so often; I hope this helps you, too.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Hi WillTravel-We were apparently posting at the same time.

I have NEVER been asked whether I was a resident of France when buying a SIM card. I have been asked to show identification (but not every time), and I have shown my US driver's license or passport. Absolutely no problem.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM

That's good to know - thanks Marcy and Tuscanlifeedit.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM

tuscanlifeedit,
Is your cell phone an unlocked GSM phone, tri or quadband?

If so, you can buy a SIM card at any phone store- there are different networks. My current SIM is a Mobicarte from Orange.

Another network is Bouygues (Sp?) and I think there's also another one, SFR.

Yes, the outlets are the same as in Italy.
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM

If you search this forum for xyz123, you'll find LOTS of threads about cellphones in Europe- he's a real expert on the subject.
May 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM

A big thank you goes out to Willtravel for
the "cellularabroad" site!
I think, I finally understand how an international phone works; before I went on this site I was in the dark whether to buy or rent a phone and what sim cards were etc?
I learn so much from this forum--it's great!
May 11th, 2007, 07:46 AM
ira

Hi Tus,

>Are outlets the same in France and Italy?

Yes

May 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I have walked into the Orange store in Sarlat and a NAC store in Paris on more than one occasion and purchased a SIM card and minutes without every being asked if I was a French resident. Admittedly, I conducted all the transactions in French, though I always asked them to help me set the phone to show commands in English, so I don't think they were thinking I was French!
May 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Two of the main operators are Orange and Bouygues. Both have stand-alone boutiques (I know there's an Orange boutique on Blvd St Germain); their products are also for sale in other electronics stores. (I've found it easier to deal with the stand-alone boutiques, though.)
May 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM

SFR is another major provider. You will see Orange and SFR "boutiques" all over. You can go to www.pagesjaunes.fr and enter Orange or SFR and the zip code where you will be staying to find one or the other nearby.

I can also verify that anyone can get a SIM. To my recollection, I was asked for my passport for ID.

If you will be visiting France and Italy, there may be more economical options. Search "cell" here for recommendations.
May 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM

i believe that the reason for asking if you are a resident is then they can sell you a contract sim card, not just a pre-paid one.

also, they need the french resident's i.d. number when making offical bills.

correct me if i am wrong.

Search this Thread