cell phone in Russia and Europe

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Kathy

cell phone in Russia and Europe

I will be in Russia for 10 days and a couple of days each in Finland, Tallinn and London. I would like to take a cell phone with us as we are leaving our children with grandparents in the States. I will need a different phone as Alaska does not offer global cellular service. Does anyone have recommendations as to what type of phones to purchase and what type of service to get? I don't need a fancy phone as there's a good chance I won't need it after the trip. I've heard of GSM phones. IS that the way to go? thanks for any suggestions and info.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Andy

Kathy- call AutoEurope==they have an 800 number--You need to tell them which country will be you longest stay and they set the phone for that country--then all other countries can be dialed from your phone or received to your phone at a slightly higher charge....
We used a phone from AutoEurope in MAY - Our longest country that we were in was England-so we used that as our base number--we also travelled to Itlay and France and we could used the phone there also,but the per minute incoming and outgoing were only SLIGHTLY higher..
The phone is sent to you by FED EX a couple of days prior to flying--it is NOT good in the US --It will only work in the countries you tell AutoEurope that you need...ie.all European countries I know are ok on their phone-but ask about Russia==Hope this helps.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Ashleigh

Check the US State Dept website - I remember reading that you need specific permission to bring a cell phone into Russia (I think the same might apply to computers)

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:58 PM
D.B.

Europe is on different frequencies than the U.S., you can get GSM tri-bands that will serve you in Europe or the U.S. For an example, see the below link:

http://www.my-siemens.com/MySiemens/..._194_0,FF.html

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:46 AM
gsm

GSM is the standard for mobile telephony, originally developed in Europe, but becoming a "de facto" world standard.

Almost everybody in the world uses 900 MHz (MHertz) or 1800 MHz. This includes Europe, Middle East, Asia, Africa, Australia, NZ, etc, allowing owners of 900/1800 MHz terminals to roam freely around the world.

USA by some reason I can't figure out opted by 1900 MHz.

To make short a long story: If you want a telephone to work in USA and outside, you need a triband (there is a nice Motorola model - triport - which I thing it's not too expensive). If you wish a telephone to work outside USA, a 900/1800 MHz is perfect and there is a broader choice.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:56 AM
Miriam

Hi Kathy,

gsm is right in what he said, but the Motorola he refers to is not called triport, but "Timeport". I have one of those and have used it worldwide without any problems.

Miriam

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 02:18 AM
Santa Chiara

GSM and others: is it true that with a triband, you will be paying exhorbitant rates for anywhere outside your country. For instance, I just bought a new phone for use in Italy. I considered a much more expensive triband for the times I go back to the U.S. But I was told, and it makes sense to me, that when I am in the U.S. I am calling back to Italy to place a call to another U.S. number.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give on this, although I have already bought my non-triband phone.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:02 AM
GSM

GSM is the worldwide system that works everywhere except USA. And of course you can take the phone to Russia. GSM frequency is quite high there and they donīt leave their phones home when they travel.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:27 AM
Miriam

Santa Chiara,

the first important decision you have to make is to choose a provider in Italy that has a roaming contract with a provider in the country you wish to go. One of the German providers for example only covered the West coast of the US for a long time. It wouldn`t make sense to use this company when you want to got to Virginia...Each provider offers download maps of the covered areas worldwide. F.e. regarding my German contract, I`m using Voicestream, which cover the East Coast and Florida. You can get the rates via their webpage. If I remember correctly, incoming calls are 2,5$ and calls you make from the States to Europe are 3,5$ a minute. Yes, it is expensive, but it is important for me that everyboday can use my cellphone number they know for 6 years and reach me worldwide.
If you want to safe money-buy a calling card. I did that in addition.

Miriam

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:50 AM
Santa Chiara

Thanks for the information, Miriam. I think I will just rent or buy a cheap phone for the U.S. I mainly need it for driving.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 04:08 AM
gsm

Hi Miriam

Thanks for correction.

Hi Santa Chiara

If you are in USA with an Italian subscription telephone and you want to call a telephone based in USA, the call doesnīt go to Italy.

However, if 2 telephones with Italian subscriptions, roam in USA and one of them calls the other, then the call goes thought Italy.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 03:06 PM
D.B.

Cellular Telephones.
To obtain permission to bring in a cellular telephone, an agreement for service from a local cellular provider in Russia is required. That agreement and a letter of guarantee to pay for the cellular service must be sent to Glavgossvyaznadzor along with a request for permission to import the telephone. Based on these documents, a certificate is issued. This procedure is reported to take two weeks. Without a certificate, no cellular telephone can be brought into the country, regardless of whether or not it is meant for use in Russia. Permission for the above devices may also be required from the State Customs Committee of the Russian Federation. Cellular phone rentals are available and recommended.

http://travel.state.gov/tips_russia.html