Reload this Page >

Cell phone in Russia

Search

Cell phone in Russia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Kathy

Cell phone in Russia

I will be in Russia for 10 days and a couple of days each in Finland, Tallinn and London. I would like to take a cell phone with us as we are leaving our children with grandparents in the States. I will need a different phone as Alaska does not offer global cellular service. Does anyone have recommendations as to what type of phones to purchase and what type of service to get? I don't need a fancy phone as there's a good chance I won't need it after the trip. I've heard of GSM phones. IS that the way to go? thanks for any suggestions and info.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 06:49 AM
PJ

I am traveling to Russia soon and read this on the State Department Site at http://travel.state.gov/gps.html <BR> <BR> <BR>To obtain permission to bring in a cellular telephone, an agreement for service from a local <BR>cellular provider in Russia is required. That agreement and a letter of guarantee to pay for the <BR>cellular service must be sent to Glavgossvyaznadzor along with a request for permission to <BR>import the telephone. Based on these documents, a certificate is issued. This procedure is <BR>reported to take two weeks. Without a certificate, no cellular telephone can be brought into the <BR>country, regardless of whether or not it is meant for use in Russia. Permission for the above <BR>devices may also be required from the State Customs Committee of the Russian Federation.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 06:56 AM
james

The last message amazed me!! I take my GSM all over Europe - including to Moscow recently. Nobody bats an eyelid at mobile phones anywhere. I think this permission business is out of date/unenforceable in Russia. Get any GSM phone for use in all the places you are visiting, and let the Alaskan authorities know that they need to get up to date with the rest of the world!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:01 AM
Sergey

Hi Kathy, <BR> <BR>Just get a GSM standard phone. I know that Motorola produces phones that can be used both in American and GSM standards. <BR>You need to have an international roaming activated on your phone. <BR>To dial the States, first dial "+" followed by "1"(international access code for the States)and then your area code and a phone number. <BR>And,please, do not read the first message. It's just ...., say, outdated. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>Sergey <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:27 PM
BARBARA

Hi, Kathy, have you tried Verizon Wireless, they have Global Service available. You can either rent a phone or buy one, probably better to rent it if your not planning to use it again. But GSM it has to be. <BR> <BR>Barbara....

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Anton

Hi, Kathy, <BR> <BR>One of our guests in Moscow just bought a new SIM-card (costing round USD8) + plus paid a deposit of round 45USD which he is on his account. So you pay 8USD and your phone works in Russia, and you can call anywhere else in this world. <BR>If you come to Moscow and have any problem with it, feel free to call me on 3548909 - I will tell you the way to the central GSM office. <BR>Regards, <BR>Anton <BR>GHS, Ltd.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Herbert

I´ve been to St. Petersburg in June, my GSM 900/1800 worked perfect, there is just one provider who charges around $ 5 per minute (roaming included)