Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cell Phone in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cell-phone-in-europe-985500/)

macktec Jul 17th, 2013 10:26 PM

Cell Phone in Europe?

I am planning an extensive trip back to Europe in Mid to Late September. I previously spent 4 months in Europe for school back in 2009 and purchased a basic global prepaid phone to use while there (which truly wasn't costly). This time i would like to try another method to hopefully save some money.

I am wondering if there are any smart phones (iphone, Galaxy, Droid) that would allow me to use a european sim card simply for basic phone purposes (call and text) but can use its full capabilities while in a wifi location???? Jailbreak? Unlocking? Basically I'm trying to avoid having to pay for a data plan for a phone, because i know it will be outrageous...

or

which may be impossible or illegal (or both) Is there a way to i guess trick my carrier into thinking that its local data, like with TOR browser how they can mask your location and server???
i currently am grandfathered in with Verizon Wireless for an Unlimited Data Plan (local data they tell me) which would be prefect because i could simply Skype around the world for pennies on the minute

Robert2533 Jul 17th, 2013 10:55 PM

You can purchase an unlocked iPone 3 on eBay, they work well here, and use it with any service in the EU. No need to sign up for a separate data service. Just recharge the sim as needed and use the WiFi free where available. We use MoviStar in Spain.

sparkchaser Jul 18th, 2013 12:42 AM

You can find unlocked smartphones for cheap all day long on eBay.
If you want to wait until you get to Europe, the independent cell-phone shops/electronics stores/pawn shops generally have a good selection of inexpensive used phones and good prices on new-ish phones. Pick up a new PAYG SIM in each country.

Your Verizon plan won't work in Europe unless your phone also accepts a SIM card.

macktec Jul 18th, 2013 09:51 PM

Thank you for your comments but my main concern is that with those plans or sim cards, even with an unlocked phone will it still constantly use data or attempt to connect to data. Or is it simply a basic phone till you get wifi??? Because in the US if you have a smart phone it constantly is using data simply to support the applications.

sparkchaser - the new iphone 5s i believe is going to take sim cards now (like the 5), and thats was truly the path i was intending because its global and has everything i would need (like all smart phones) and hopefully will have a better battery then then majority of smart phones

Seamus Jul 19th, 2013 12:03 AM

macktec - you can just turn off data functions and use only phone when not in WiFi range. It's kind of a pain but does work. We are doing that right now with Galaxy S3 in Spain and France.

sparkchaser Jul 19th, 2013 01:31 AM

macktec, your Verizon iPhone 5s will be useless in Europe unless it is unlocked. Verizon should unlock it for you if you tell them you are going to Europe and want to use local sims.

And Seamus is correct: you can turn off data functions on your phone.

macktec Jul 29th, 2013 07:38 PM

Awesome i greatly appreciate your responses, they really have helped me figure out my phone situation. Now its basically all about figuring out which phone i want and getting it unlocked.

StCirq Jul 29th, 2013 07:51 PM

I have a $26.00 e-bay unlocked GMS tri-sim phone that I use in Europe all the time. I have a Lebara SIM for France, a TIM SIM for Italy, and the other slot it used for either my US cell phone or anywhere else. The costs are absolutely minimal, especially since most of the people I want to communicate with in France and Italy are also on Lebara or TIM, which means no cost at all.