Cell Phone for Italy travel

May 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Cell Phone for Italy travel

I will be traveling in Italy for 10 days and need a phone....be traveling alone so want for local calls in case of.
My provider in USA is Verizon.....any advice on the, "Quad" phone ?
PLEASE.....send all info on how to obtain....also like most, I am on a budget.

Thanks !
May 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Get an unlocked used or refurbished quad band GSM phone, usually available on eBay or Amazon. When you get to Italy, get a sim card.

When we went to Italy last May, I had bought a refurb'd Nokia for under $25 on eBay and a 15 Euro sim at a Wind store in Rome (they wanted a lot more at the airport kiosks), which included 10 Euro in local calls and texts for a few cents each. For a bit more I could have gotten minutes to call the US. The store set up the phone.

The card is now expired, but the phone will work on future trips wherever SIM cards are sold.
May 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM

I am in the same situation as well, but also wondered about using my smartphone for our trip. I would love to have immediate access to the internet for maps, websites, etc. I haven't heard of a "quad" phone. Is it used primarily for international travel?
May 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Can I use one of my old phones that would take a sim card and use it ? Seems like a good idea and would work......is it ???
May 19th, 2013, 04:07 PM

Unless you have an unlocked quad-band GMS phone, no, it won't work. It's not likely that you have such a thing.

I bought a brand new unlocked quad-band dual-SIM GMS phone on Amazon for $26. I keep my U.S. (T-Mobile - no contract, no plan, I just pay for minutes as I need them) SIM card in one slot and a foreign SIM card in the other, depending on which country I'm traveling to. For France, I order the SIM card in advance and they send it to me in the USA (Lebara or SFR); I don't know if there are Italian outfits that will do that for you, but if not, just go to a TIM store when you land and buy a SIM.
May 20th, 2013, 02:53 AM

We have just returned from Italy.

In our group of 3 we had 2 iPhones, 1 Android and one old Nokia phone with a sim card which we bought in Italy (I think it was at one of the train stations). My iphone is a 3GS.

We turned off all data roaming, cellular data and 3G on our iphones for the entire duration of the trip.

When we were in free wifi zones, (which is quite often - most cafes, hotels and trains offer free wifi but sometimes you have to ask for the password) we used a free app called Viber to talk for free either to each other or to friends and relatives back home. The quality of voice connection varied and sometimes dropped out, especially in Rome, but most times it was surprisingly good. Venice was the easiest place to connect.

We used a low-cost app called Whatsapp to text message and send photos and videos for free to each other and back home.

Google worked in the free wifi zones via Safari.

We had the phone with sim card for emergencies but didn't end up using it.

This worked really well for all of us.

It was nice to coming back to a bill of $0.

Hope this helps - feel like a high tech demon writing this even though I'm an old fuddy-duddy.
May 20th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much ThulaMama !

I have used Whatsapp and it's fantastic !
I have an android phone and was looking to be able to make calls in Italy to Italian phone #'s, to make reservations, etc.... Any suggestions on how I can do this at the lowest cost ?
Thanks so much !
May 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Nikkiirwin ---

Quad phones work anywhere in the world.

If you use your US phone for texting and data like maps, GPS, web access, you will spend vastly more money than you could imagine spending in the US for the same thing.
May 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM

<>

Yes. Read what I already posted.
May 20th, 2013, 10:31 PM

Read what StCirq posted and go the quad-sim route. Viber only works for free with other Viber users.