Notices

Cell phone advice - minimal use

Apr 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Cell phone advice - minimal use

Read many of the cell phone threads, so I think I understand the limitations/advantages, but would like to ask the experts what they would suggest for my situation:

Family all has Iphone 4s's through Verizon plus an Ipad (WiFi only). We plan to do all communication with the states via email on our Ipad. Ideally won't use our cell phones at all, but would like the option to call each other if separated, or if we have to contact a tour guide/hotel/airline.

Are we good to just activate our Iphones for international roaming before leaving and disable the data function. As long as the phones still work, I'm willing to pay the high per minute rate.
Thoughts?
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM

I have used an IPhone (when I still had one...now have a droid) exactly as you are proposing. Call me lazy but I simply found it easier to dial home the FEW times I did so rather than renting/buying a cheaper product, doing the SIM card change, etc., etc.

I never use the data function on the phone when I'm in Europe...rather use my laptop and do so in free wi-fi places such as the hotel (assuming I have it) or even a MacDonalds.

It all depends on how much money you think you are really going to save and whether or not you feel you can afford to simply use your phone and pay the obviously high prices vs. getting a local SIM card, etc.

Some folks are comfortable doing what you propose and others aren't.
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Yes, you should be good. I did exactly that last month. Just call Verizon and they'll set it up for you. I only have one line so I don't know, but hopefully if you're on a family plan they can do it all at once?

I used my phone basically as you're describing: I called one tour company and sent a few texts. It was nice to have the ability for my family to easily reach me (and vice versa) in case there was some emergency. I also got the international data plan but kept data roaming turned off when I wasn't using it. It was nice to have the data, but I could have lived without it. I used the phone all the time with the hotel's wifi.

Search this Thread