Driving from Siena to La Spezia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching the trains from Siena to Cinque Terra, I realize that it will take the best part of a day.
we are renting a car in Siena to tour, and are now considering dropping it off in La Spezia instead.
Can anyone tell me how busy the roads are between these two. We had not intended driving on busy roads or large cities, as I’m a nervous passenger.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 02:28 PM
mjs

Its an easy drive from Siena and takes about 2 1/2 hours. Highway until you reach the off ramp to La Spezia and you are on roads in the town. Highly recommend something like GPS for this part.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mjs. When u say highway, is it a very fast highway with lots of traffic?
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 02:50 PM

coastal autostrada or our freeway - limited access divided highway and can be very busy I would think - main link along coast and to Genoa and France. Coastal regular road may not take that much longer? Not sure but check that route if have time - along coast most of way to La Spezia. You drive right by the Leaning Tower if you want on edge of Pisa and easy parking near it (note someone said their car was broken into on another thread when parked near the Tower and everything in it stolen so park in secure parking lots of areas. Also on regular coastal roads the famous Carrara marble mines with places to stop and see it all and to buy a piece of it too.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
mjs

Just did the trip in May and the Autostrata is fast with speeds mostly up to 130 KPH. Traffic was not bad when we drove it and luckily Italians leave the passing lane clear. Have no idea as to what it would be when you are there. We left in the morning on the way to Milan and the only real traffic was in La Spezia and around Milan at 5 pm. The drive to Portovenere is terrifying for the driver.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what train information you were looking at. The train ride from Siena to La Spezia takes 3 hours, and some options involve only one change at Empoli which is a small, easy-to-navigate station. You might save 20-30 minutes if you drove the main highways and didn't encounter any traffic delays. Or not.

The weekday morning traffic leaving Siena can be heavy and slow, and it could easily be a 4-4.5 hour drive if you wanted to avoid all highways. You might also want to see where your car return location in La Spezia would be in relation to the train station, assuming you're continuing to a farther destination.

I would look at a map and see if there are any towns along the way that you'd like to visit. Maybe Volterra or Certaldo for a wander or lunch in Lucca? Otherwise, I would take the train.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I don’t know which site I was looking at, but am now relieved to see that the train is preferable. We won’t be travelling until Spril/May, so are unable to see the schedules now, but I will keep checking.
Again, many thanks for your help.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Trains also save a day of car rental or more if you turn in when reaching Siena.

And most of those trains to CT (via Empoli and Pisa - most direct route) are regional trains that have no seat reservations and no inducements on price to book in advance - just buy Siena-CT ticket in Siena and hop n any regional train - for lots on Italian trains check www.trenitalia.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. If want to visit Leaning Tower put bags in Pisa Centrale station and take cab or walk there and back.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 02:55 AM

There is also a direct Flixbus Siena dp 7.10 - La Spezia ar 11.05, not daily, fare 6 EUR/pax
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ. I will wait to buy my tickets in Siena. Great info from you.