Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CDG to TGV - How much time do you allow for connections?

Aug 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at CDG at 7:30 a.m. How much time would you recommend allowing transferring to your train? If we have several hours to wait, what options do we have to pass the time (restaurants, shopping?) Thanks.
Aug 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM

At least two hours, assuming you are talking about departing on a TGV from CDG. It's likely that it will take you up to an hour from landing to be through all the procedures, especially if you have checked baggage. There are at least two cafes there and a Relais.
Aug 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM

I allow about two hours, ideally, you never know. I'd allow 1.5 at the least.

I don't shop in airports to pass time. There are some vending machines over near the TGV. I read a book or listen to music on my MP3 player (or both) to pass time in airports. If I had that much time, I might stop and have a cup of coffee, but most likely just get a bottle of water from the vending machine or something. I don't remember any particular shops or restaurants right near the TGV, but might be forgetting them. THere is a hotel not too far which probably has a coffee shop or something (Sheraton, I think).
Aug 19th, 2010, 09:46 AM

It could be less than that, but 2 hours is reasonable allowance if checking. Here's a bit of a breakdown:

From what I could tell from our last flight in, which landed at around 6:50 a.m., there's a shift change at passport control at around 7-7:30 a.m.. If your plane is on time, that shift change should already be in place, and your passage through that area should be pretty smooth. I think it's possible you could make it off the plane, walk to passport control, and be out within 1/2 hr or less.

We don't check luggage, so I have NO idea how long that would take. If you are not checking, your passage by the baggage claim and out the "Nothing to Declare" exit and then down via elevator or whatever to the CDGVAL floor would take less than 15 minutes.

The CDGVAL train between terminals can be stodgy, as new as it is. It should not be longer than 15 minutes, but it was problematic when we arrived. I would allow at least a 1/2 hr for that. I am assuming you would be starting at Terminal 1 and going to the last stop. Just remember that contrary to logic, Terminal 3 on the CDGVAL comes before Terminal 2.

On the floor where the TGV waiting area is, there's a pretty good croissant/baguette/expresso shop. One floor up (which I think is the floor on which you will arrive via CDGVAL), there's a Paul's kiosk with lots of good bakery goodies. And if you want to chill and pay $$$ (you ARE on vacation), there's a full breakfast menu at the Sheraton on the same floor as the Paul's kiosk.

If you don't stop at any of the above, your transport time from exiting CDGVAL to various escalators or elevators down to the TGV loading platform would be 15 minutes or less.

Therefore, without checking luggage, I'd say your minimum transfer time would be
30 minutes (or less) from gate to exit of passport control
15 minutes from passport control down to CDGVAL (if no check)
30 minutes for stodgy CDGVAL--far less if no problems
15 minutes or less to get to TGV gate from CDGVAL stop

Total without checking luggage: 1:30--and if everything works well, 45 minutes. Checking luggage? 2 hours seems reasonable to me.
Aug 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM

The TGV station is located between Terminals 2C/2D and Terminals 2E/2F. There is a Brioche Doree sandwich/coffee shop in the public area of both Terminal 2C and Terminal 2D. There is a Paul sandwich/coffee shop in the public area of Terminal 2E. There is a Pomme de pain sandwich/coffee shop in the public area of Terminal 2F.
Aug 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM

But you don't know whether your flight might be delayed. IIRC, pre-purchased TGV tickets are good only for that one train. You miss that train, you'll have to buy another ticket. So wait and buy your ticket when you arrive.
Aug 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM

<< So wait and buy your ticket when you arrive.>>

I disagree. PREM fares on the TGVs are deeply discounted if purchased well in advance. I would rather pay 19 euros to get to Bordeaux, e.g., and sit at the train station for an hour or two, than pay 80 euros on the spot. In all my hundreds of TGV trips in France I have only ever missed one train as a result of a flight being late. If you give yourself enough time, it shouldn't be a problem.
Aug 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Bank-operated ATM machines do not jump out at you in the CdG terminals so you should allow time for scouting around if you need to withdraw cash before boarding the TGV.
Aug 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM

There's an ATM about 10 feet to the right as you exit the passport control line at CDG2.
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM

The real unknown is will your flight or will your flight not arrive on time. This is the great unknown and the dilemma.

2 hours is sufficient time to deplane, pass through immigration, collect your luggage, pass through customs, find the TGV station, find your seats and pre-position yourself for departure. If you aircraft arrives late, 2 hours may not be sufficient.

While it is true that PREM or iDTGV tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable, other types of tickets are so you might have options.

Personally, I like 3-4 hours leeway just to be sure I do not miss the train.
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM

Recently took train from CDG TGV and would advise familiarizing yourself with the long long platform that has two distinct sectors to it - be sure you are standing in the right sector as it is difficult to walk between the two if you are not - look at the diagram of what sector your train car will stop in. To me, a rail traveler of decades, it was rather confusing at first encouter.
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM

on my last trip to Paris, we waited in line for 35 minutes to get through the passport control.
Aug 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I would start always from the principle that CDG sucks. It is a dump. It is slow at passport control, it is slow at baggage claim, it is slow at security when you leave, it is inefficient, and it is managed as poorly as JFK in the 1970s.

Don't do less than 2 hours' gap.
Aug 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM

My situation was probably best case...

Landed at 9:40AM Terminal 2A. I had only carry on. After stopping at Relay store to browse, go to washroom, brwwse another store, and walk to TGV station. It was then 10:45AM.

If you go to the top floor at the train station area, there is a Patisserie Paul, a good spot for your first french pastry and coffee.
Aug 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM

<>

What does that mean, I've never gone through security to leave the airport?
Aug 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for all your good advice. I've only flown into CDG once and then just took RER into Paris. I remember how long it took us to get RER tickets to go into Paris because the ticket vending machines wouldn't accept our credit cards so we had to wait in line . I think we will take a chance on buying tickets ahead to avoid the hassle of buying tickets on the spot. We're not checking any luggage (I hope) so I think I'll try to give us 2-3 ours.
Aug 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM

I imagine when you are leaving from CDG...
another bad experience (two years ago )- 40 minutes wait
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM

<>

What does that mean, I've never gone through security to leave the airport?>

exactly after umpteen treks thru 'Customs' i have always just waltzed non-stop by some bored-looking Customs officials. I have no idea why anyone who has exactly gone thru security or Customs on landing would say that - now going out to America there can be intense agonizingly slow security checks - thank God IMO - but on landing in decades of landing here always nothing at all, which indeed has surprised me.
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM

it is slow at security when you leave>>

I'm quite sure the poster meant it's very slow (which it is) going through security when you are flying out of France through CDG.
Aug 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM

They may have meant passport control instead of security check, an understandable mix-up in terms.

I agree with PalenQ's "bored-looking Customs officials" assessment. The passport check area in CDG Terminal 1 is probably the ONLY area in CDG Terminal 1--please note that I am saying "CDG TERMINAL ONE (1)-- that has not been problematic in over 20 trips through.

OK, it was slow for a bit our last trip in early July during the early a.m. shift change. Once the shift-over was completed, the line was fast, fast, fast. I certainly did not think our wait time (compared to US Citizen entry points in US) to be unreasonable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO