CDG to Marais -- Fastest Way?

Apr 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

CDG to Marais -- Fastest Way?

I'm leaving for Paris in about a week. I've searched this forum on transportation from CDG to central Paris, and got a slew of info but not sure what's best for my case. Please help.

We're (2 people) flying in to CDG on a Sat (4/30) morning (10 a.m.) on American Airline and need to go to my hotel in the Marais, closest metro is St. Paul. What's the fastest and most convenient way to do this? Nothing too outrageously expensive.

If I take the RER, it looks like the closest stop is Opera? From there, how do I go to my hotel? By Metro or taxi?

Or should I just take the shuttle? The shuttle seems rather expensive -- 26 eu per person? And I have to make reservation too. What if my flight comes late, and I miss my reserved slot?

Thanks for your help!
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM

I think if you took the RER, you'd be better off getting off at St. Michel. But Robespierre will be along any minute to tell you exactly how to do it and how much it will cost.

Me, I'm not much of a fan of the RER. I prefer to take the AirFrance bus to Gare de Lyon (12-14 euros) and a taxi to the Marais (5-7 euros, depending on how many bags you have).

I've taken shuttles before, but the one's I've used usually cost about 17 euro per person. 26 definitely seems too expensive, unless maybe it's round trip?
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Fastest on a Saturday morning would be a taxi - and less than the price you quote for shuttle. With taxi you don't have to worry about any delays, etc.
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Hi JC,
The RER is fast, low-cost and efficient. However, if you carry more than one piece of luggage, it can be a pain.

I took it last September to go to my hotel in the Marais, near the Metro St-Paul. It was quite easy.

I suggest that you use the following website:
http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php

All you have to do is enter "Charles de Gaulle Airport RER" in the box on the left, and "Métro St-Paul" on the right, click on "Station" on both sides, and you'll get the full itinerary.

Hope this helps.

Ginny
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Fastest: 40 minutes
Convenient: if you don't have more luggage than you should
Not expensive: €7.85

The RER B is just another train that you move your luggage on and off. I think I'd ride to Châtelet and either walk or change to Métro Ligne 1 (Direction Chateau de Vincennes) to St-Paul. The RER ticket is valid all the way.
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Actually, by the time you schlep from baggage claim/customs to the CDG RER station, buy a ticket, wait for a train, get to Chatelet, negotiate the stairs to transfer to ligne 1 and then walk from St Paul to your hotel, it is probably faster to go via a taxi that you just pick up outside the terminal and drops you atthe hotel door. Costs a bit more, but even I (the eternal pennypincher!) have come to believe it is worth it, especially after an overnight flight. Cost with tip is no more than 45-50 euro.
Apr 19th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your help. I think I'll try the RER if we're not too tired at the time of arrival. Have to watch out for pickpocketers too.

The rapt website is pretty good. Thanks, travginny, for pointing that out. And yes, Robiespierre's directions indeed concur w/ the website!

If we're too tired, we'll go w/ taxi.
There's no way to catch a shuttle without advanced reservation??

Apr 19th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Also, is it walkable from Metro Chatelet Les Halles to Metro St. Paul? I'll have one carry-on on wheels. Or it's easy enough to figure out the Metro that I should take it instead? Thanks.
Apr 19th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Also, is it walkable from Metro Chatelet Les Halles to Metro St. Paul? (I'll have one carry-on on wheels.) Or it's easy enough to figure out the Metro that I should take it instead? Thanks.
Apr 20th, 2005, 03:34 AM

It is walkable in about 15 minutes or so if you know where you are going. You could walk down Rue de Rivoli but expect the sidewalks to be full of pedestrians. Sounds like you might need to read a map which will make the process longer. When you come out of Chatelet its hard to know where you will exit as there are many many exits from that gigantic station. I would just take the metro and follow the signs to Line 1 direction Vincennes. It's a bit of a walk underground from the RER but is well marked. Metro St Paul is two stops from Chatelet on the line 1.
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM

It's less than a kilometer. But the streets are crowded, so you might want to consider all the alternatives for that last leg:

Walking, of course, gets you right to your hotel, as does a taxi from Châtelet.

If you use the Métro, there is some walking from RER to Ligne 1 and from the St-Paul station to your hotel, but not rigorous if you're reasonably fit (but it's free).

There is also an excellent bus network in Paris; either a #76 (Direction Louise Michel) or #69 (Direction Gambetta) will get you from Châtelet to St-Paul in 4 minutes. The bus stop is on the Quai des Gesvres, just around the corner from the Place du Châtelet.
Apr 20th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like taking the RER and then transferring to a Metro line would be easier than walking. Hopefully, the Parisians are not all up and about already on Saturday morning! 11 a.m. Thanks for your help!

So, should I bother with making shuttle reservation as a backup? Or I could catch one at the airport if I'm too tired to do the RER?

Do I have to pay at reservation time? Which shuttle company do you recommend? Some shuttle websites rate the fare according to how many people are taking it. The price is quite expensive if only 1 or 2 people are taking it, and it goes down more reasonably if 8 people are taking it. So, there's no way I can expect 8 people to share the shuttle then? What's the strategy here? Thanks!

Perhaps I'm fretting a bit too much here. :]
Apr 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I believe in Paris, you must reserve shuttles ahead. Some cities have different regulations on that, and all of the ones I've heard of have that rule in Paris, so I guess they do.

I've never taken one so can't comment on your plan of reserving one and just not showing up if you don't feel like it, as to whether you could lose your money that way. It's a plan, anyway. I haven't ever seen one costing 26 euro per person for two people, though. I thought they were around 17-20 euro each. Bee shuttle, for example, is 15 euro pp.
http://www.bee-shuttle.com/shuttle-us.asp

The number of people is in the same party, not just in the van. YOu get a discount for booking large numbers together. All of the vans attempt to be full, but if you are single, you will pay the single rate, regardless.
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM

The shuttle is rather a crapshoot - you maybe he first dropped off, or the last, or somewhere in between, and it can take as little as 40 minutes or more than 2 hours. Plus you may have to wait at the airport until the shuttle is full. If economizing is important, RER to Chatelet then a cab to the hotel is a nice compromise. Saves you from having to negotiate the crowded streets with bags, looking for your address.