Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CDG to Gare du Norde. Paris experts please advise.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Cheryl

Hi! I need some advice please. <BR><BR>We will be arriving at CDG airport at 9:40 on a Saturday morning. We will be going to Brugge for a couple of days & would REALLY like to reserve seats on the only direct train there - it leaves Gare du Norde at 11:55. <BR><BR>So, we've got 2 hrs 15 min to deplane, get luggage, clear customs, find & catch bus to station, pick up tickets & board. Should we even hope to be able to do this or just resign ouselves to taking the long way through Brussels? <BR><BR>I have no idea how fast or slow customs is there, nor what traffic will be like at that time on a Saturday (estimated bus time with regular traffic is 35 min.) Maybe there are shortcuts (is a cab quicker, can train tickets be paid for on board, etc.) Thank you for any and all advice & information!<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Jim Rosenberg

While it is conceivable that you could do it, I certainly wouldn't want to bank on something that tight. I would suggest a little looser connection by taking the Thalys up to Brussels and then catching a local train or running the Thalys all the way. (The non-Thalys out of Brussels is a little cheaper route to go and you may prefer the schedule options it produces). Just my two cents worth because I'm not sure that I would want to be thinking about trying to make a train so quickly after arriving. Connecting in Brussels is really not that big of a deal and it need not be all that time-consuming, but I don't know your luggage situation.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Sue

I agree with Jim; everything would have to work perfectly for that to be doable. It took over 45 min. for taxi to get us into city recently from CDG in rush hour. RER, which stops at Gare du Nord, would probably be faster, but only if you really know what you're doing (as in having done it before) and don't mind hauling your luggage around, which can be a real pain on a crowded RER.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Andre

Cheryl,<BR><BR>That sounds VERY tight!<BR><BR>Isn't there Thalys service straight from CDG to Brussels? Then you can change at Brussels Midi, where there's a direct train to Bruges twice an hour.<BR><BR>IMO this is the easiest and probably fastest alternative. <BR><BR>While you could also take the RER train from CDG to Gare du Nord and then the Thalys to Bruges (or Brussels), it's a real hike from the RER to Thalys at Gare du Nord and the RER can be slowwwww (even the nonstop service) - you never know how long the trip will take. There is no bus service between CDG and Gare du Nord BTW.<BR><BR>Changing at Brussels Midi is a snap! BTW, you only need to reserve the Thalys portion of your journey. You can pick up tickets at Brussels Midi for the trip to Bruges (no advance reservations possible anyway for this portion). Schedules for the Belgian railways at:<BR>www.sncb.be<BR><BR>Book the Thalys at:<BR>www.sncf.com<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>Andre

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Vincent

I would second Andre's suggestion. Provided you arrive in September, there is a Saturday Thalys direct from CDG to Brussels Midi departing 12h43 arriving 13h59. Granted, you might arrive one hour later than with the direct Gare du Nord train, but it's much more hassle free (beware though: the inter CDG shuttle between the terminal and the train station takes a good 30-45 mn, but you'll have plenty of time)

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Daniel

What about this alternative: TGV from CDG 10.53 or 11.25, arriving Lille Europe 11.50 or 12.15. Walk for ten minutes to the other station, Lille Flandres. Take the 13.05 train to Brugge, arriving 14.29.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Andre

Thanks for your vote, Vincent <BR><BR>Cheryl,<BR><BR>I looked into the schedules as well, and in addition to the train at 12:43 or 12:34 (depends on the day you travel), there's also one at 10:46 which you MIGHT make. I would book the 12 o'clock one but select a fare which allows you to change your reservation (so not the "mini" fare- see fare details at www.thalys.com). When you get to the TGV station at CDG to pick up your tickets, just ask to take the earlier train if that's still possible. If you've missed it, pick up your tickets and just go upstairs to the Sheraton - have some brunch and relax, you're on vacation after all!<BR><BR>2 other things:<BR>- It occurred to me that you can probably purchase the tickets from Brussels to Bruges at the CDG station at the same time as you pick up your Thalys tickets (all you need is a plain vanilla ticket, no particular train should be specified). You can't prebook this portion on the SNCF site however. This spares you the trouble of having to queue for tickets again in Brussels.<BR><BR>- Vincent refers to taking an RER train to the TGV station at CDG2 should you be landing at terminal 1. While this is technically possible, it makes no sense. Just take the free ADP shuttle bus - LINE 1 - from the basement (shopping) level of terminal 1 to the TGV STATION AT CDG2 (NOT LINE 2 TO THE RER STATION AT ROISSYPOLE). You can walk to the TGV station from any terminal at CDG2 (2A,B,C,D & F) if you are landing there.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Andre

Daniel,<BR><BR>I saw that connection as well, but I've never changed trains & stations in Lille and imagine this would be at least a medium hassle, maybe worse...<BR><BR>Do you have firsthand experience with this?<BR><BR>Andre

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Andre

Oops,<BR><BR>Just reread Vincent's post and don't have a clue why I came to think he recommended taking the train between CDG 1 and 2!! SO SORRY for the confusion!<BR><BR>Anyway, his timing is conservative (I would have said 20-30 min), but indeed CDG1 is a lot less convenient to the TGV station than CDG 2.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Daniel

No, I have never been to Lille but the stations are not more than 400 meters or so apart. Another thing, the distance from CDG to Brugge via Brussel is about 400 km. Via Lille only 280 km.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Andre

Daniel, I don't know...<BR><BR>Check out this link (subway map of Lille):<BR>http://www.univ-lille1.fr/eudil/lillefr/planval.htm<BR><BR>It looks like there are 2 separate subway stops for Lille Europe and Lille Flandres, so the stations can't be too close. I see your point about the shorter distance, but still wouldn't recommend this route.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Daniel

Go to www.mappy.com, ask for Avenue Le Corbusier, Lille, France. There is a 100 m measure on the left side of the map.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Liz

I've gone from Paris to Brugge by way of Lille 2 different times. The connection was at the same station (Flanders) both times, so not ALL connections require this.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Daniel

Most TGVs from Paris Nord goes to Lille Flandres. TGV from south of France via CDG goes to Lille Europe (for connections to London). <BR><BR>The 11.55 Cheryl wanted to take from Paris Nord continues to Brugge only Sundays, I think.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Andre

I know this is overkill, but take a look at this link from the Belgian railway site:<BR><BR>http://www.b-rail.be/internat/E/trains/eurostar/eu_lille.html<BR><BR>Min 30 min. connection time? No way - I stand by my itinerary <BR><BR>Andre

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Cheryl

Hi Again! Thanks to everyone for the responses - I feel like a Paris to Brugge expert now. I had a feeling that my original itinerary wasn't realistic, but it doesn't hurt to ask & I'm so glad I did. I was interested in the direct train simply because, coming from San Diego, our trip over is already a long one. But no big deal, we do have 2 weeks and a very simple itinerary.<BR><BR>Anyway, I believe we'll take Andre's itinerary as it seems the most hassle-free. Thanks for all the great info Andre!<BR><BR>Oh, and thanks to you too Daniel. I've been searching so long for the European equivalent to our mapquest.com & know I know. Much appreciated!<BR><BR>Cheryl

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Andre

You're very welcome, Cheryl!<BR><BR>Bon voyage!<BR><BR>Andre