Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CDG to Central Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cdg-to-central-paris-650085/)

IWS Sep 30th, 2006 04:03 PM

CDG to Central Paris

I'm planning to use the train from CDG into central Paris (Citadines St Germain Hotel) - with 3 kids, my wife and luggage. We arrive in the middle of the day but I would appreciate any "better" ideas or thoughts from my fellow travellers. Thanks - Ian

Therese Sep 30th, 2006 04:10 PM

I'm a big fan of public transit, but in this instance I'd just catch a cab. You'll all be tired, so unless the kids are all old enough to handle their own luggage (and you've packed light) the potential savings isn't really worth the trouble. And if any of the kids needs to be carried, or is stroller bound it's really not worth the trouble.

JeanneB Sep 30th, 2006 04:12 PM

Taking the train is easy. I believe there are escalators all along until you reach the final level before going above ground. Assuming you're going to St-Michel, the stairs at St-Michel and St-Germain Blvds are not bad at all. We rolled our luggage about 5 blocks to our hotel from there.

I'm going to assume the "kids" are old enough to manage their own suitcases. (If not, I'm not sure I'd try this.)

Randy Sep 30th, 2006 04:21 PM

Have you been to Paris before and familiar with the metro and RER? How old are your kids? If you have been there before and your children are in their teens, then maybe I might consider the RER.

IWS Sep 30th, 2006 04:35 PM

Randy - no just a big dumb Aussie bloke that has never been to Paris before but is willing to give most things a try !! The kids are 12, 9 & 6. By the sound of it a taxi might be the go? I'd need to find something that can us and the luggage - is it expensive? Ian

jody Sep 30th, 2006 04:45 PM

A taxi will be about 15 euro more than RER for 5 people..go for it..You wait to buy tickets for RER, climb stairs at St Michel, cross a busy street and walk about 3 blocks to citadines..the 6 yr old will definitly be whiny and so would I !!

Seamus Sep 30th, 2006 05:07 PM

Even though I am a regular user of the train to get from CDG into town, here's a second vote for the taxi - the relatively small difference in cost will be more than offset by the advantages.

rebeccaG Sep 30th, 2006 05:41 PM

I'd probably use a shuttle - more room for people and luggage. do a search for airport shuttles - bee shuttle, and paris shuttles are 2 I've heard good things about...comparabe to a cab in price I think.

Travelnut Sep 30th, 2006 05:55 PM

A shuttle may cost more than a cab. There are 'minivan' type taxis that can carry a larger party.

starrsville Sep 30th, 2006 06:53 PM

I would take a cab - especially with 3 kids in tow.

JeanneB Oct 1st, 2006 04:30 AM

Given the kids' ages and it's your first time, I'd go for the cab.

While in Paris, try to take the bus rather than metro when you can. (Same ticket works for both). You get a "tour" as opposed to being underground.

RonZ Oct 1st, 2006 10:21 AM

A Bee shuttle will cost 50€, the taxi cost will be close, maybe a little higher--the fare on the meter plus 1€ per bag. There is a fourth passenger charge, but this applies only to adults. Have the address written down to show to the driver.

KCN84 Oct 1st, 2006 01:37 PM

In early September 2006, we reserved with Bee Shuttle for CDG to Paris. Bee never showed.
After 1+ hour wait we hooked up with 3 other sets of people on another shuttle.
As were the "add-ons", we were the last dropped off.It took 2 hours to reach our destination.
Suggestion: if on a budget, check into the Air France bus,or train RER.
Ultimately when in doubt, take the cab.
KCN

dnhubet Oct 4th, 2006 08:40 AM

We are a family of four, arrived CDG in mid-August. We had arranged a pickup in advance with the Airport Connection shuttle van service, dropped us in Montparnasse. This was very convenient -- you call on arrival to find out where the van is stationed, at a nearby terminal door, both the phone receptionist and driver spoke English (important for us). Later in the trip we crossed Paris on Metro with our luggage. This was cheap but not easy -- tunnels, steps and congestion.

Gretchen Oct 4th, 2006 09:33 AM

Again, shuttle could be more than a taxi. You might have the one in a hundred times the shuttle doesn't show. Take a taxi. Make a map with your hotel address on it to give the driver.

lucielou Oct 5th, 2006 06:21 AM

Hi IWS

Since you say you are Australian,I take it you are flying in from Australia to France? If that the case, then I would would definitely take the Taxi option, you will be tired and with three kids, its not easy arriving in a strange city and trying to find your way around. I've taken the metro many times, but my kids ( 15, 18 yrs ) are old enough to carry their own luggage. Take the taxi and save your sanity.

Lucie