Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CDG terminal 2 is not the safest place to be at night !

Apr 10th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure if I'm being repetitive. On my trip to Europe I was transiting thru Paris, and since my flight out was an early morning one, I decided to stay at the CDG terminal 2 where my next flight was scheduled from. There were four of us waiting in a lounge, when this man walks in and starts acting very strange [this was inside the airport]. After about half an hour we walked out since he was behaving very oddly. All this happened with the cleaning staff barely 20 feet away. While none of us had our luggage snatched away or anything, it might have happened if we stayed there for some more time. We later came across a group of policemen who were doing rounds, who told us to avoid the areas near the exits of the airport, since theives were known to come into the area. So here are a few tips for others who might face similar situations.
1. The CDG terminal 2 is almost deserted at night, and there are very few people about. So avoid staying there at night if possible.
2. Avoid the regular lounge areas which are near the exits. We were told by the policemen that one of the pubs in the terminal which was located more inside was a safer place to stay. That's what we did. The pub was of course closed for the night, but there were seats for us to sit.
3. Stay in groups if you can find other passengers.
4. Please remember that being inside the airport does not assure safety from thieves.
5. The terminal 1 is supposed to be more closely monitored than terminal 2....so if you arrive at terminal 1 and have a connecting flight from terminal 2, it might be a better idea to stay at terminal 1, and catch the bus to terminal 2 later.
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:46 PM

What sort of strange behavior did you see? Are you sure this was a thief and not a mentally disturbed person? Did you know, on the wonderful Web, there's a site dedicated to overnight stays in airports, with the "facilities" rated, airport by airport, and safety discussed? Sorry, I didn't bookmark that site.
Apr 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure if he was mentally disturbed....I'm a physician and I can usually identify people who are. The strange behaviour consisted of staring at each one of us in turn as if he was sizing us up and then going into a crouching position as if he was going to spring and snatch away the baggage. Of course, for the first 20 minutes or so, he was just standing there, and I thought he was maybe just another passenger, although of course, he didn't have any baggage. And, no, I actually didn't know that there was a website on airport safety. Any idea what the site is? I do know that CDG does not have any facilities for overnight stays [as in a transfer hotel] other than the Hilton inside the airport complex. May be I should check out that website before I plan to wait overnight at an airport again.
Apr 11th, 2005, 01:13 AM

I think the man was mentally disturbed...
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:24 AM

Physician: heal thyself and stay at the Hilton.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:48 AM

I second the suggestion to come up with a better plan than hanging around an airport. It's boring and nothing good is likely to come of it. Treat yourself better than that next time.
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:41 AM

I think I am agreeing with Intrepid on this one. I cannot imagine why anyone would decide to stay at CDG overnight if one were able to stay in a hotel
I think that is one of the reasons why CDG is almost deserted at night.
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:09 AM

When we were considering staying in a hotel near CDG on the last night of our trip, I found *many* hotels that were within a short distance--10-15 min ride--of the airport. I would have to agree that barring an unforseseen cancellation and the total unavailability of rooms, that staying at the airport when one can afford to do otherwise, does not seem like a good plan....
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:23 AM

There's a website, sleepinginairports.com, where you can post your experience to warn others who may be contemplaing overnighting in CDG terminal 2.
Apr 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM

I think they did a movie about this guy, didn't they? Tom Hanks played him.

Well, I think it's good advice for those folks who do this kind of thing. I'm in the public health field, also (although not a clinician), and they do sound mentally disturbed but that does not eliminate problems nor possible theft. One can be a mentally-disturbed thief, and some mentally-disturbed vagrants can become physically assaultive, also.
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM

There is a Sheraton right in the airport.
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Hey, where are those Japanese hoteliers who equip those little pods you can stretch out in for a few hours? They're missing a revenue opportunity here.
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:49 PM

I'm sorry - but why would anyone who has any choice in the matter, spend the night in any airport? Now, if one is stranded w/ a lot of others (like during a blizzard or in Sept '01) and no rooms are available, or if one is totally broke and can't pay for even a bare bones or priceline - then I can see it.

But to actually choose to sit up all night in an airport terminal -- NOT my idea of fun . . . . . .
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:43 PM

I can only think of one thing worse than spending all night in an airport. That's taking an overnight train somewhere and trying to sleep. But at least then you're getting somewhere.
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Who would think that an airport terminal WOULD be "the safest place to be at night!" ?

Was there a consensus among the four of you to spend a miserable night in the airport? If not, I bet someone caught a lot of grief!
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Ah, Patrick--I have never spent a night in an airport, so I cannot compare--but I *do* remember an overnight train from Paris to Madrid as one of the all time bad nights of my life!!
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:01 PM

I sure don't mean to be critcal but there is no way I would spend a night at an airport unless there was no other choice (storms, no hotel rooms available etc.).

I do not like to throw money around but I also will not go through hours of misery to save some money. There are always easier ways to make up the difference in the future, less going out for restaurant meals for example.

But we all have different ways of budgeting our money and have different ideas what brings us comfort and happiness.
Apr 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I think an explanation is in order. I said I was transiting thru Paris. Which meant that I arrived on one flight late at night, and was proceeding to another destination early in the morning. So, it really wasn't as if I had much of a choice. The other passengers were those who had missed a late night flight [they said it was the airlines' fault, which might have been, because they were issued another ticket for the next flight which was early in the morning; I didn't go into the details]. Since I was in transit, I also did not have a valid Schengen visa for the date of my arrival to go to the other hotels outside the airport zone [I had to change my travel plans at the last minute]. And I really wasn't prepared for this kind of an experience inside the airport. My experience so far with international airports [although I must admit it is limited]have been that they are safe places to wait for an early morning flight, and there are usually many people around. So I was totally unprepared for an empty international airport. I posted this message under the impression that some people might find themselves under similar circumstances, but I seem to be mistaken.
Apr 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Hello ayakkadan, I understand your situation. I think it is good that you posted a warning for other travelers who might be in the same situation that you were in.

One good thing about the Fodors Board is that it gives all of us the opportunity to give other travellers warnings and suggestions regarding good and bad news regarding our travel experiences. Take good care.
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Betsy,

It's www.sleepinginairports.net, or go straight to the Europe pages at
www.sleepinginairports.net/europe.htm. Great stories, especially for the queasy folks hereabouts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO