CDG T1 to TGV Station

Jun 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

CDG T1 to TGV Station

Hello

We arrive at CDG terminal one at 06:40. The train I would like to get leaves the CDG TGV station at 07:39. This all happens on a Saturday morning in August.

We will have carry on only, but will still have to deplane (row 8 coach), go through immigration, and get to the TGV station. I would rather have the tickets ahead of time, as we don't have a European chip credit card to use the machines.

I would like to know if seasoned CDG users think that a one hour transfer time from T1 to the TGV is doable.
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Yes certainly - just hop the fairly new VAL people mover that replaced the old longer bus transfers between the two terminals.

but since you cannot know when your plane will actually land leaving only an hour between train and plane IMO is not nearly enough - you are using the optimal transfer time if everything is on time and goes smooth.

And recently it seems more and more flights 'land' in the middle of the airport and then a shuttle bus comes to meet the plane and take you into the terminal - this happened recently to me and it took a long time - enough so that i did end up missing a train connection - but i had a railpass so could use it on other trains.
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I agree with Palenque.
Less than an hour to catch the TGV in CDG is not enough.
Last year we were parked in the middle of the airport, and also there was only 2 persons in immigration for about 200 people that had just landed.
Give yourself a little more time!~
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM

No, not enough time unless absolutely everything goes perfectly. I'd need at least two hours to be in my personal comfort zone.
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I think the transfer time in itself is okay for getting between them, but not when one throws in the time to get off the plane and go through immigration. No, I think it's too short.
Jun 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Yes, the automatic CDG-VAL will take you where you need to go in just a few minutes.
Jun 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM

You will be lucky to have gone through immigration within an hour.

The saving grace may be that the plane could land much earlier, if there are no problems on departure (thunderstorms, etc) you could land at 6 AM which probably would be fine.

My recent AF flight landed one hour late due to thunderstorms at IAD when we left. Going through immigration was done very quickly but nonetheless we were an hour late.

In July we are set to land at 640 AM (coming in from Charlotte on USAirways) and the TGV I've selected to take us to Avignon is at about 11 AM. I wouldn't even feel totally comfortable about 9 AM, mostly because of the possibility of thunderstorms in the summertime.
Jun 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

flygirl: that is our flight (US Airways, Charlotte to CDG).

It is a shame that on this Saturday morning, most of the trains that would work for us are very early or very late. I don't relish the idea of hanging about waiting around for a train.

I will continue to work on this. We aren't going to an area with a lot of direct trains, and DH doesn't want to get in a car after flying all night. Well, there is always some sort of workaround.
Jun 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM

ps. I just did the T1-TGV walk yesterday morning because my Dad was on USAirways and I was on AF. I made sure he was checked in and through security and then I made my way to T2. It is very quick but that won't be the holdup - immigration and plane delays could be.
Jun 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Hi

Where are you going? A car really isn't a big deal after a flight unless it's HOURS of driving, yes, you will be tired but it's doable, I've done it a number of times. The TGV is better because you can nap for a few hours and then pick up the car though, this is true.

The other thing to think about is that depending on which tickets you buy, they may be nonrefundable which means if you are late and do miss it, you will shell out for more train tickets.

What is "very late"? I found that I could have picked an earlier train BUT it wasn't the fastest one and thus the 11 AM one gets us to Avignon later (but not much later) than the earlier train.

If your drive is within a few hours I'd probably consider driving given your sitch, especially if you are going to get a car at the end anyway.
Jun 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Since TGVs from CDG to your destination (whatever it is) are infrequent, have you considered going into Paris and taking a train from there? Chances are you'll have more departure time choices.
Jun 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Tim

Our destination is a place between Niort and La Rochelle. Sugeres is the nearest railway station. The trains aren't really any more frequent from Gare Montparnasse than they are from CDG, and then there is the issue of CDG > RER > Gare M.

It is all sort of complicated at this point.

Flygirl:

my husband has already told me that he doesn't want to drive after flying PIT > CLT > CDG. I could drive, but I am a horrible driver in my own small city.

Very late is around 14:00 after arriving at 06:30. I call that very late.

How long is the drive: 4 hours and 30 minutes.
Jun 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
ira

Hi tus,

>How long is the drive: 4 hours and 30 minutes.

I think that that is way too long to try to do in jet-lagged condition.

Jun 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

ira

I totally agree. And I am so happy to have you back chatting.
Jun 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Ugh, yes, that is very late. Any time before noon would be workable for a wait but until 2 is way too long. I agree, 4.5 hours with a jet lag (and after a connection) is a lot, too.

You could consider checking into a hotel for a shower and maybe a lap in a pool/hot tub (if one exists at the airport) before a 2 PM train though?

Or, would you consider going into Paris for the day/night and then taking the first train out the next morning?
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

flygirl, I am considering all of those things. The next day will be Sunday, though, and picking up a car most places becomes complicated. However, not a CDG.

But I don't want to spend a day of my trip at the airport. Maybe in Paris, near the Gare Montparnasse...
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM

Another wacky thought:

Are there any trains going in your general direction, leaving at a decent interval, which would get you "on the road" to your destination, stop, stay overnight, and then keep going the next morning?

It's a longshot I suppose since it's likely to be the same line, but, might be worth a look?
Jun 10th, 2009, 01:38 AM

ps. a corollary to the wacky thought:

If there are no suitable trains, maybe driving an hour or two in your general direction would work. Stop at some town along the way that would be a nice place to wander in the afternoon/evening. You could get there before noon, have lunch, take a nap, explore the town and then the Sunday drive would be 2.5 hours or so. Not optimal, but at least it gets you on your way.

We took the TGV from Montparnasse to Tours on Tuesday of last week, direction La Rochelle. It was a 910 AM departure, no idea if that train started at CDG before coming into Montparnasse.
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM

If you allow yourselves plenty of connection time, getting to Gare Montparnasse on either the RER & Metro or on the Air France bus #4 shouldn't be much of an issue. You can leave Gare Montparnasse at 13:10 on a direct TGV to Surgeres, arriving at 15:45.
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM

PS. another thing I experienced recently, in trying to buy SNCF tickets online - I wasn't able to print them out as tickets, and StCirq can testify to that because we had a conversation as to what a TGV ticket should actually look like! It gave me a receipt with details, but no ticket.

If the same thing happens to you (and it may) then you will be standing in line there anyway. You're better off buying them ahead of time but you may end up in line to get the paper tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO