Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CDG (Paris) to 7th arr. by RER question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cdg-paris-to-7th-arr-by-rer-question-570240/)

margyb Nov 10th, 2005 09:01 PM

CDG (Paris) to 7th arr. by RER question

After much thought, I've decided to take the RER from CDG to Paris when I arrive on 11-17.

The directions on the hotel's site (Turisme Hotel) are to take RER B in direction of Robinson/Saint Rémy les Chevreuses.
Stop : Denfert Rochereau. Take metro line n° 6 direction Etoile Charles de Gaulle ; Stop : La Motte-Picquet Grenelle

Is anyone familiar with these two metro stops (Denfert Rochereau & La Motte-Picquet Grenelle) and can tell me if they would be managable with my luggage? I'll have a small carry on tote and a 26" rolling bag. Or...should I just take a cab from the RER stop?

Thanks for your help,

Margy

jclalaska Nov 10th, 2005 09:23 PM

If you are traveling light and can carry up and down stairs you will do just fine.

If you want to get your bearings, stop at St. Michael...you will be on the left bank across the river from Notre Dame.

Lots of taxis...probably $15 or so to your hotel.

Make sure you have a note with the hotel name and address to give to the driver...it will ease your life.

After you figure out the subway~rer stations you can return to CDG via metro+rer and save the brain damage.

tod Nov 10th, 2005 10:02 PM

I took the RER 'B' as far as Gare de Nord and a taxi from there. You could go as far as Metro stop St.Michel and save a few euros, then taxi.
I find I am not prepared to punish myself when getting off an 11hr flight into unfamiliar surroundings.
A taxi ride to the front door of the hotel always puts me in a holiday mood straight away.
I'm with jclalaska -save the brain damage!

AnthonyGA Nov 10th, 2005 10:03 PM

If you have only one bag that is small enough and light enough to carry in your hands high in front of you (so that you can pass through turnstiles), you can use the Métro system; otherwise, you should take a taxi.

If your budget is so restricted that you cannot afford a taxi ride directly from the airport, you may wish to review your decision to visit Paris in the first place.

margyb Nov 10th, 2005 10:10 PM

Tod...I think I'm liking your idea! I pack fairly lightly, but I'd sure prefer not to haul bags up and down stairs. So you would recommend taking the RER B to St Michel, not Denfert Rochereau?

Anthony...I can easily afford a taxi directly from the airport, but having been stuck in traffic many times coming from CDG on previous trips, I thought this might be faster....but thanks so much for your response.

Margy

Michael Nov 10th, 2005 11:31 PM

Denfert-Rochereau has easy access to the street. Access to the métro involves going up and down a few staircases. If you are not familiar with the system, it might be best to follow jclalaska's advice and take a taxi from the RER station. Going back I would use the Denfert-Rochereau connection between the métro and the RER.

Gretchen Nov 11th, 2005 04:05 AM

A 26" rolling bag and a carryon is not exactly travelling light. Going through turnstiles or even getting the clerk to open the gate next to turnstiles is not fun. Stairs are even less. Take a taxi.
Even taking a cab from the Gare du Nord might be preferable and about the same price. The station has been extensively renovated and there is a better chance that the escalators will be working. You might even be able to take bus #42 to come close to your hotel, if you want to further complicate getting to the hotel.

tod Nov 11th, 2005 04:19 AM

margyb - Just had a quick look at my Michelin Map and see there is a Taxi stand at Denfert Rochereau. This RER stop is a lot closer to the 7th than Gare de Nord & about the same from St.Michel(did not see a Taxi sign there), so I would go with Denfert-R.
I too had one teeny little carry-on bag but still preferred a taxi part of the way.
PS. Have a Kir for me!

ira Nov 11th, 2005 04:29 AM

Hi M,

Can you lift your 26" suitcase over a turnstile?

((I))

sfowler Nov 11th, 2005 04:38 AM

Take the Roissybus to Opera and then line 8 to La Motte Picquet-Grenelle direction balard. That way you have only one change. The Roissybus is 8.40 euro, I THINK you can show your ticket to get on the megtro. If not just another 1.40 without all the huffing and puffing.

wliwl Nov 11th, 2005 05:53 AM

How about the State Department's warning to tourists to not take that train?

Really - I've done both the train and a cab. Just get a cab, sit back, and RELAX.

RonZ Nov 11th, 2005 07:47 AM

If someone can well afford to take a taxi, I can't see what possible advantage there is in doing anything else.

sfowler Nov 11th, 2005 07:50 AM

Agreed.
But the Roissybus/line 8 combo removes the question of traffic and indirect routes taken by a taxi driver. I also like the "tour of Montmartre" that you often get on the way in.

indytravel Nov 11th, 2005 07:57 AM

I like the RER. It's easily 1/4 the cost of a cab if traveling solo. You never get stuck in traffic. I'd rather be on a train people watching then sitting in a traffic jam in a cab. I can do that at home. :-)

I did see the warning about the train from CDG into central Paris. I still plan on taking it week after next. I'll be traveling at 9:30am. I have yet to read of any rioting happening during daylight hours.

sfowler Nov 11th, 2005 07:59 AM

Have a great trip Indy :D

Travelnut Nov 11th, 2005 08:06 AM

There is an elevator at the RER-Denfert station to come up to street level from the tracks. To exit the station, you can go thru big doors, or you can slide your bag <i>under</i> the turnstile as you push the bar aside. We did this trip in September with a full-size golf case on wheels, a 21&quot;rollie, and two backpacks. There is a taxi stand just outside the station.

If you prefer to continue on from Denfert by metro, then you just roll underground until you reach the hallway for that. I'm sure there will be stairs to navigate at that point.

francophile03 Nov 11th, 2005 08:12 AM

As some of the other posters have recommended, I, too, agree with taking a taxi instead of the RER. Of course, everyone's got personal reasons for each mode of transportation. It's up to you to decide in the end which one you like better.

Underhill Nov 11th, 2005 08:15 AM

The American Embassy is suggesting a taxi rather than taking the RER, as it runs through neighborhoods where there has been violence.

sharkmom Nov 11th, 2005 08:37 AM

Off the point, but of interest to me, is the question of the best way of paying for either the train or taxi option? Where is the best place to get Euros upon arrival at CDG or do you pre-buy them at home before leaving? Aren't the exchange rates at airports/ train stations usually very disadvantageous? Any thoughts?

Underhill Nov 11th, 2005 08:44 AM

Just go to one of the number of ATMs at CDG--no need to exchange currency.