Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CDG Airport to Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cdg-airport-to-hotel-283093/)

Alicia Dec 31st, 2002 05:57 AM

CDG Airport to Hotel

Our hotel is near the Arc de Triomphe and I am trying to determine the easist way to get to the hotel from CDG after a long overnight flight with my husband who has not travelled much. Is the Metro easy to navigate from the Air France terminal? Would a taxi be a better choice? Thanks for your tips and advice.

Eye Spy Dec 31st, 2002 06:05 AM

Alica, not to worry. You can take the Air France Bus that leaves designated spots close to the arrivals hall of each Aerogare every 15 minutes. The bus will drop you right at Place Charles-de-Gaulle [Arc de Triomphe] / Avenue Mac Mahon (I believe). It would be less expensive than a taxi although if you don't mind the additional cost, take a taxi (keeping in mind morning rush hour traffic into Paris). Close to where the Air France bus drops you off there is a taxi stand that can take you to your hotel in the event you don't want to walk. The Air France bus is very convenient and efficient. It is certainly your best bet given the circumstances you described. You can check out the details on: www.airfrance.com/us or www.adp.fr (Aeroports de Paris) or the Parisian Transport Authority at www.ratp.fr (English language option if you don't read French) in the event you decide to take the RER and transfer to metro in Paris proper. I hope this helps you! Have a great trip.

Sue Dec 31st, 2002 06:22 AM

I would take a taxi; it will run you between $45-50 in morning rush hour.

lisa Dec 31st, 2002 09:51 AM

I took the Air France bus a couple of years ago from CDG to the Arc de Triomphe and walked to the hotel a couple of blocks away (map in hand; suitcase on rollers). As Eye Spy indicated, it was easy, convenient and relatively inexpensive. I liked not feeling compelled to chatter with a taxi driver, but having the time to myself (even though buses have more people than cabs, I find it easier to be anon.), and looking out from the higher vantage point of the bus.<BR>

Christina Dec 31st, 2002 11:03 AM

Actually, even though I usually recommend a taxi for convenience and take one myself, in a case where you are going directly to an Air France bus stop, I would also say just take the Air France bus to the Arc (and that is definitely what I would do). It is then just as easy as a cab, I'd say, and you won't have to worry about charges, tipping, traffic jams, etc, because it's a very reasonable flat fee.<BR><BR>I also think it's rather a relaxing way to enter Paris, although it's not a real sightseeing tour, of course, I enjoy seeing things from up high, also. <BR>And I also like not having to interact with a taxi driver after a long flight when I'm very tired (I thought I was the only one who felt that way).<BR><BR>If you can walk from the Arc, I'd definitely take the Air France bus.

aaa Dec 31st, 2002 12:04 PM

Why does anyone feel they have to interact with the taxi driver? Just curious..I tell them where I want to go and that's it. I think they prefer that and it lets them concentrate on their job.

Gretchen Dec 31st, 2002 12:37 PM

Parisian cab drivers have always just left us to ourselves even if they spoke English.

xxx Dec 31st, 2002 01:13 PM

Taxi drivers are no different in Paris. We've yet to have a driver carry on conversations with us. They mind their business, only a couple of them have started conversations and didn't want to stop talking. Like aaa said you just tell them your destination and they get you there; why do you need conversation?

Ken Horn Jan 2nd, 2003 12:19 PM

Alicia- I just returned from Paris Monday. The taxi fare from Terminal 2C at CDG to 70 Champs Elysees (about 3 blocks from the Arc) was 37 Euros for 2 people with 4 bags. It would have been a few Euros cheaper with a Paris Shuttle van but after waiting 45 minutes we opted for the taxi from the stand in front of the terminal. The taxi driver spoke very little during the trip. <BR> I would not use the Metro after a long flight if you have any luggage- it's a pain to cart bags around after a long flight.<BR> If you only have 1 wheeled bag per person AND the weather is OK then Eye Spy's comment about using the Air France bus is a good money saving idea. Unfortunately I always have more than 1 bag and am pretty grumpy after an allnight flight, so I want to be left alone and minimize the hassle with the bags. Hope this helps- Enjoy Paris.<BR>

Sue Jan 2nd, 2003 05:07 PM

I highly recommend the Air France Bus,especially since you are staying near a stop. I have taken to Montparnasse, both ways,and loved the convenience and price. I have also taken the RER direct from CDG to Luxembourg stop. Worked out fine, but I was a little nervous, as I had heard about luggage-snatching, etc. on that line. Seemed safe enough to me, though.<BR>But I prefer the Air France Bus, and in your case sounds perfect.