Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   CDG Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cdg-airport-650827/)

PattyT1971 Oct 4th, 2006 08:10 AM

CDG Airport

Does anyone know if there is a place in CDG to rent a cell phone so I can call the States while I am there? Also, I have to meet a friend at her baggage claim (she lands about an hour after me). Is CDG hard to navigate, or will it be relatively easy to find her flight/baggage carousel?

PalenqueBob Oct 4th, 2006 08:23 AM

depends which terminal as regards customs exit - terminal one easy as i think there is only one exit - terminal 2 is much much bigger may be more than one but again there will be only one place where her flight must clear customs and exit into the terminal.

TimS Oct 4th, 2006 08:39 AM

I don't know if you can rent a cell phone at CDG. Have you considered buying a telecarte (phone card) with a PIN so you can use it in either payphones or hotel room phones? They're readily available at tabacs and newsstands and the rate is very cheap.

PattyT1971 Oct 4th, 2006 08:40 AM

She did say something about the fact that her baggage claim is IN customs, so I woill have to meet her outside that area. Does this sound right? Since I am not going to have a cell phone, I'm afraid that I won't be able to find her.....

TimS Oct 4th, 2006 09:14 AM

If your friend's plane lands at CDG2, then I suggest you meet at one of the following places:
1. La Brioche Doree, a fast food restaurant (the one in 2C rather than the one in 2B because it is closer to the CDG2 TGV & RER station).
2. The lobby of the Sheraton hotel which is above the station.
3. The station itself.

If your friend's plane lands at CDG1, then meet at either:
1. La Brioche Doree at CDG1.
2. CDG1 RER station.

You can take a free shuttle bus from wherever you land to wherever you choose to meet your friend.

Passepartout Oct 4th, 2006 09:26 AM

There is no guarantee that one traveler will arrive before the other, schedules be damned. Therefore, your interest lies in minimizing the trekking that you will both have to do.

I believe that the most efficient course is to have the first-arriver meet the second-arriver outside the customs area serving the latter's gate (either of which, again, may or not be as scheduled).

You can then make your way together to whichever RER station is easier to access from wherever that is.

You should choose which arrivals area to meet at should you both arrive at the same time. And if one of you doesn't show up by [pick a time], then you co-ordinate by leaving messages at the hotel (<i>I'm going to grab a bite - be back at 7h30, go ahead and eat if you're hungry.</i>)

PattyT1971 Oct 4th, 2006 09:32 AM

thank you very much!

rkkwan Oct 4th, 2006 09:41 AM

CDG2 is basically 6 terminals in one - A thru E. Most airlines only arrive at a fixed terminal, while AF uses multiple ones. Even though AF tells you which one it will arrive, there's no guarantee. On an AF flight a few months ago from Houston IAH, we were supposed to arrive 2E. We touched down and the FA was still saying 2E. But when I walked out of the plane, I found out that I was in 2F.

Pick some place in the common, open area, like the Sheraton.

Once you get your own luggage and get out of customs, you cannot go back in. So, you can't meet your friend at her baggage claim.

Passepartout Oct 4th, 2006 09:56 AM

Just to clarify - you can meet each other at the <i>exit</i> from the customs area in the appropriate terminal. This is where the shuttle/limo drivers line up along the barrier holding signs bearing passenger names.

ParisEscapes Oct 4th, 2006 02:20 PM

I second passportout. Meet at the exit of customs. You'll see a crowd and limo drivers holding up signs.