Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cave Restaurant in Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cave-restaurant-in-prague-478448/)

corilow Oct 4th, 2004 06:37 PM

Cave Restaurant in Prague

A friend of mine was telling me about a quite charming retaurant in Prague that was in a "cave" setting. She recalls that it was across the Charles Bridge (away from the city) and up a a hill. Vague, I know, but was wondering if anyone may have a recollection of this place? She descibed it as walking into a long corridor with low ceiling, a local place, and seating in the back of the restaurant with a natural spring trickling down a grotto-like wall into a pool. She cannot remember the name but said the food was great and the locals abounded. Yep, it sounds like a tourist trap, but she assured me that it was all locals!

pat Oct 4th, 2004 10:28 PM

I`d like to know too, as we will be in Prague in the spring!

LLC Oct 5th, 2004 02:59 AM

Sounds like Svata Klara.

corilow Oct 5th, 2004 11:22 AM

LLC-Have you been there? If so, what was your impression? Thanks

LLC Oct 5th, 2004 04:19 PM

No, we didn't go there. We decided to go to a place we could walk to. I did check out the website, it looked very nice, lots of atmosphere, and was told (by a local) it was a great place to go for a birthday or anniversary.

MaureenB Oct 5th, 2004 04:28 PM

We ate dinner in a restaurant in Prague that sounds like what you describe. It was cave-like and called something like the "Bazaar". It's on the main road leading from Charles Bridge up the hill, about midway up as you're heading to the sites on top of the hill, and it's on the right hand side going up. We had a very nice meal there. Good food, mid-range prices, good service. Look into it-- it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I think they have fashion shows and other avante garde entertainment there sometimes. We also ate a nice lunch at the rooftop cafe of the Hotel Neruda, also on that block.

corilow Oct 8th, 2004 11:49 AM

MaureenB and LLC,
Thanks for the info, once again. I will try to find Bazaar. It sounds like an interesting place. I am also looking for a nice hotel (250 euro range) if you have any suggestions. I found a new hotel called Aria and it looks very charming. All of the rooms are based around musical themes. There is an "Opera" floor, "Jazz" floor etc. It think it has only 52 rooms.

MaureenB Oct 8th, 2004 01:46 PM

We stayed in a pension that I wouldn't highly recommend, but I did collect brochures from three hotels I wanted to remember in case we returned: The Hotel Neruda (mentioned above), the Hotel U krale Karla, and the Grand Hotel Bohemia.
The Neruda is on the hill going up to Prague Castle, near the Bazaar restaurant. Its brochure says it's four-star, an historical building reconstructed. Lobby had a nice, contemporary feel, clean and well-done. Rack rate is 220 EUR in high season for a double. It's website is www.hotelneruda.cz
The U krale Karla brochure says it's a gothic building, rebuilt in 1639, renovated in 1993. It had more an old Prague feeling to it, old elegance. In Lesser Town, also near the Castle, only 16 double rooms and 3 suites, high season rates for double room deluxe is 6900CZK. Website: www.romantichotels.cz
The Grand Hotel Bohemia is a five-star, in Old Town next to the Powder Tower (also a good location), 78 rooms and suites. It's a classic, old, elegant-looking place that looked charming, too. (No rate sheet in their brochure.) Website: www.grandhotelbohemia.cz
So, that's all I know! We didn't see any of the rooms themselves, but from walking through the lobby and asking at the desk, they looked promising.
Let me know what you discover and decide. So much fun to plan a trip!

corilow Nov 5th, 2004 04:02 PM

Hi MaureenB
Thanks for all of the information. Now it turns out that I had to cancel that leg of the trip:( I'm still going to Paris January 2nd, but no New Year's in Prague. Instead, off to New Orleans for New Years and a wedding...

MaureenB Nov 9th, 2004 08:00 AM

Sounds like fun.