Cave hotel in Santorini

Search

Cave hotel in Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cave hotel in Santorini

I went to Santorini 5 years ago, and now I think I've convinced a friend to go to Greece in June 2006! I will be re-visiting Santorini, it will be her first time. We might be coming via ferry from Crete, and may have a car with us (this is all very preliminary thinking). Anyway, reading through many posts on Santorini, I'm still confused. What would be a good cave hotel for 2 women ages 29 & 33. Probably being surrounded by honeymooning couples wouldn't be ideal. We are not big nightlife people, but would like a close proximity to it.

Budget? Well that's not totally clear yet, but I am thinking around US $250 per night. I haven't gotten an e-mail back, but it seems Perivolas will be much more than that.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:53 AM
ddt

Hi, we stayed at the Loucas hotel. there are some reviews posted on trip advisor but no photos. we went before we had a digital camera but if you want i can scan in the view from the hotel and email it but no actual pictures of the hotel. try this site for pictures ...
http://www.greecetravel.com/aegean/h...ucas_hotel.htm we liked it because of the view but me being a little concerned with heights it was not as comfortable as many. it is fairly private when you look down we only saw one balcony below us and ended up talking to 2 stewardes from US on vacation and we had 2 kids with us. let me know if you want more info. given my fear of heights we probably wouldn't stay there again.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Loucas doesn't look like a cave hotel, maybe I'm wrong?

Perivolas is around $500 US per night, I don't think our budget will stretch that far. And I'm sure they are many honeymooners there, but then again Oia is romantic, so maybe there's not much we can do about that.

Alexander's Botique Hotel looks interesting, http://www.santonet.gr/hotels/alexanders/
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:03 AM

Define what you mean by a cave hotel, The Loucas is a nice spot with wonderfull views and not too expensive.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking for rooms carved into the caves (or appears to be). Look at these pics:

http://www.santonet.gr/hotels/alexan...ses/index.html
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:18 PM

OK got you !! We had two rooms at the Loucas, one of which was like the example you have. The majority of cliff hanging hotels will have some rooms like this. They have a lot of visual appeal, but if you are tall...Look out...and that is from head grazing experience !
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM

I've posted this before on my trip to Greece last October. This is way less than what you're wanting to spend. It was dug back into the hillside and had stunning views. No infinity pool. No room service. No concierge. Clean room, great location and a price I was willing to pay.

Fira, Santorini

What a delightful hotel. It's on a pedestrian sidewalk on the south edge of Fira. It's quite a few steps down from where the taxi stopped. It's dug into the hillside so the door and window at one end are the only openings. It too had A/C but did not need it. Had a mini fridge with a freezer that kept a 5 kilo bag of ice frozen. Sitting outside on the narrow balcony, sipping VO on the rocks and watching the sun set is unbelievable.

www.hotelketi.gr