Reload this Page >

Catching the Eurostar from Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:53 PM
J Brown

Hey folks, <BR> <BR>I have a Europass and I want to buy a Passholder Eurostar ticket which will cost me $75US but it is unrefundable/exchangeable less than 3 days before departure. <BR> <BR>Well, I land at 13:15 at Heathrow and am trying to figure out which train/ticket to get. <BR> <BR>There is a 16:23 train and a 17:48 train. I think it will be close timing on the 16:23 but if I'm going to get the 17:48 train then I definitely want to catch it. <BR> <BR>Is it worth it to pay the extra 50-75 bucks to get a second class ticket that is refundable at the gate in case I'm late or should the 17:48 train be all right. <BR> <BR>People have told me about the HEathrow Express and I don't mind paying 12 pounds if it's that much faster. <BR> <BR>What are the precise directions from Heathrow (American Airlines terminal, whichever one that is) to Waterloo. What is the approximate time it will take from door to door, assuming the plane lands on time? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help and you can email directly if you like. <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR>J

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 02:06 AM
anniel

I hope I can answer your question: <BR>You will most likely come into terminal 3 at Heathrow although it does not matter as there are two tube stops stops at Heathrow, one for terminals 1,2 and 3 and another for terminal 4.To travel by tube you will need to buy a ticket from Heathrow to Waterloo. This can take time if you have to queue at the ticket office. If you have correct amount of money you can buy one from the ticket machines. Some machines will also give change if you have notes or coins. The journey on the tube would take about an hour.But nothing is certain in London and it could take longer. You would also need to change at Green Park and catch the jubilee line to Waterloo. <BR>The journey on the Heathrow express takes a much shorter time but goes to Paddington.The train runs every 15 minutes and the journey is advertised to take 15 minutes. You would need to go from there on the Bakerloo line to Waterloo. <BR>The express comes into the main line station at Paddington and then you would have to get through the station downstairs to the tube...where you will need a tube ticket to Waterloo on the bakerloo line. Thinking about it this would be a much quicker route as the Picadilly tube line into London stops at a great number of places. <BR>I would be surprised if you would catch the earlier Eurostar as you have to pass through customs and recover your luggage before you can start on your trip to Waterloo. There is now a website transportforlondon.gov.uk that you can look up. It is quite comprehensive and will give you info on fares. <BR>I hope this info. is helpful. I live in London but do not have occasion to take this trip myself! <BR>Happy holidays.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:15 AM
jahoulih

If you're under 26, you can get a "Youth" ticket for 45 pounds that's exchangeable (once) at any time before departure. See www.eurostar.com to order on line and pick up the ticket at Waterloo International. <BR> <BR>Here's another suggestion that isn't very glamorous, but would save you some money: You can get an overnight bus that leaves London at 21:30 and arrives in Paris at 6:30. The fare is 28 pounds, and you would save a night's accommodation (and have an afternoon in London). See www.eurolines.co.uk.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:37 PM
Tony

Keep it simple - Heathrow Express to Paddington, taxi to Waterloo, and you should make the 1623 easily, and the 1748 definitely. If you are running early, save yourself the cab fare by taking the tube from Paddington to Waterloo. <BR>Keeping it simpler still - catch a plane to Paris, instead of London !! <BR>Logically, being as how you already there why not spend a night in London, and catch a train to Paris next morning.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:26 AM
Jason

What is the cost of all of these options you folks mentioned?