Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Catching a train at Zurich airport. Need advice.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Dan

Do you think it's possible to be on a train almost exactly one hour after my plane arrives. I'll be getting in around 11 am on a Sunday so it shouldn't be a bad time for luggage and customs. I'm planning on making a reservation and buying an advance ticket for the train. Would I have a problem with my ticket if I missed my train and had to take the next one? Thanks.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Ursula

Dan: I don't think you should have problem. You can buy the ticket at the train station at the airport and hop directly on the train (in the basement). Might even be a direct one depending on where you need to go. Train tickets for longer journeys are valid for a month. Of course, if you have a seat reservation for a specific train, that would be gone. Usually, you should not need seat reservation. Trains on Sunday can be crowded, but it's rare and rather in the mornings and in the evenings. <BR>check info at:<BR>www.uniqueairport.ch<BR>A lot of information you might want to check (English version available).

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Ursula

Sorry, the Zurich Airport site is at:<BR>www.uniqueairport.com

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM
richard j vicek

Goodmorning, Dan<BR>Upon arrival at Kloten in the Baggage<BR>claim area, you have free trolleys to<BR>carry your luggage, you exit thru<BR>declare or non-declare customs, straight<BR>ahead are the signs for the taxi, bus,<BR>and railway, down the escalators upon<BR>which you can take the trolley with<BR>your luggage to the gleis (platform<BR>level) from which the trains depart.<BR>There is a train board on the floor<BR>above telling you what platform you<BR>should be at...Richard of LaGrange Park,<BR>IL...

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Bob Brown

My experience with Z&uuml;rich Kloten airport arrival was that clearing passport control and customs is easy.<BR>I did not even get a stamp in my passport. The only trouble with the baggage carts is using them on the escalator. My luggage has wheels, so I just pulled it to the escalator, picked it up and rode down.<BR>I have seen those little carts get caught because someone got it compressed between the folding steps.<BR><BR>The train station is easy to use.<BR>Just walk up to the counter, tell the agent where you want to go, pay, take your ticket, and go get on the the train. <BR><BR>There is a shopping complex near the down escalator for the train platforms where you can buy anything you might need before you get on the train.<BR>There is a branch bank there too, with an ATM machine. Interestingly enough, this was the only ATM I have found that was out of order. As a result, I cashed a traveler's check. I thought the whole thing was an anamolous situation because if there is any nation in the world where mechanical equipment works correctly, it is Switzerland!!<BR>Swiss trains are as punctual as advertised. If the departure time is 15:02, you better be on board by 15:01:00, because the train leaves at 15:02 and the doors start shutting at 15:01:45!!<BR><BR>