Catania airport hotels

Mar 4th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Catania airport hotels

I will need to spend a night at a Catania hotel to catch an early morning flight back to the U.S. The only airport hotel I found wants $181 per night. Does anyone have info on other hotels close to airport or distance from central Catania to airport? Many thanks for any help you can give me!
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:11 PM

OK, so I am not really going to answer your question- but offer a thought. Is your flight really that early that you would need to stay close to the airport? If you stayed in Giardini Naxos, for example, it's only 30 miles from Catania. Although I haven't been to Sicily yet (3 weeks!) from my research I wouldn't choose to spend my last precious day in Catania.

I found this reasonably-priced hotel in "The Rough Guide to Sicilyquot;
http://albergomoderno.it/
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Ken

Do not follow the above posted "thought". That early trip from Giardini Naxos will be the longest 30 miles of your life and you will do far better to spend a day or part thereof in Catania. From central Catania to the airport is about 15 minutes by taxi or bus.

We stayed in Catania last year and, in fact, stayed at Albergo Moderno. While it is not a bad hotel the street outside stays noisy all night. There is a nightclub directly across from the hotel and the local communist party holds a nightly get-together on the steps outside the hotel.

I suggest the Hotel La Collegiata, http://www.eol.net.mt/collegiata/index.htm

Do a search here for "Catania" to read my report. We enjoyed our stay there.
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the good advice, Ken! My plane leaves at 9 a.m. so I want to be close.

Mar 5th, 2003, 10:46 AM

No need to be critical Ken. This is a place for opinions, and that was mine. You could have just offered your opinion without discounting mine.

Mar 5th, 2003, 11:06 AM
GAC

Look up the Hotel del Duomo (on the web) at the bottom of Via Etnea, across the square from the University and a stone's throw from the Cathedral. The airport bus (under 1 Euro) leaves from here every 20/30 minutes and will take you to the airport in 20 minutes. I enjoyed touring the Cathedral and the nearby Museum of Vincenzo Bellini (the great Sicilian opera composer who was born in Catania in a building which is now his museum). A stroll along Via Etnea is also worthwhile.
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM
LJ

Completely irrevlevant to this discussion, but for those who are contemplating a visit to Catania, the book "Blood Rain" by Michael Dibdin has much in the way of the atmosphere and history of Catania to offer.
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

To AP6380: Thanks for your thoughts on Catania. Unfortunately, for reasons too complicated to go into, I must fly from Rome to Catania to catch a flight back to the USA. You are going to Sicily in three weeks -- I hope we both have wonderful trips! This is my third trip to Italy and first to Sicily -- will tour Sicily for two weeks and then fly to Rome where an apartment near the Pantheon awaits us for ten days. Such a wonderful country. Enjoy! I know I will.

Apr 16th, 2003, 07:20 AM

I am also looking for a hotel near the airport in Catania due to early morning flights. For both our first and last day in Sicily June/July 2003.

Would you recommend Catania Sheraton or Execelsior Grand?

Thanks for your help!