Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Catalonia Las Cortes or Suite Prado Madrid? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/catalonia-las-cortes-or-suite-prado-madrid-992090/)

hax Sep 16th, 2013 06:41 PM

Catalonia Las Cortes or Suite Prado Madrid?

Hi all,

Does anyone have a reco on which of these two Madrid hotels is a better choice? The Catalonia Las Cortes looks lovely, but we have the smallest room category and are afraid it will be tiny. The Suite Prado looks spacious, but of course will have lesser amenities. Has anyone stayed at either? We have reservations at both, and need to make a choice. We're in Madrid only three nights, and we're doing a day trip to Toledo, so convenience to the museums, etc is key.

Thanks!

Robert2533 Sep 16th, 2013 07:08 PM

The Hotel Suite Prado belongs to the Lope de Vega hotel group and is usually meant for longer stays. The Catalonia Las Cortes is better for shorter stays, but both are located close to the museums you're interested in visiting, as well as to Atocha station. The hotels are about a 3-minute walk from each other.

BowenLinda Sep 16th, 2013 09:54 PM

I stayed at the Catalonia Las Cortes for five nights in Oct 2011. My double bed room was a good size with a large, marble bathroom and juliet balcony. Don't think I had a room upgrade. Nice hotel and a great location for a first trip to Madrid.

hax Sep 18th, 2013 10:36 AM

Thanks for your replies.

BowenLinda, our double room is listed at 205 sq feet. Pretty small. I don't think it has a balcony. Perhaps you were upgraded or had a deluxe double? I really do love the look of this hotel.

Robert2533, any idea if the Suites hotel has helpful staff, etc? Is there another reason it's meant only for longer stays.?

Anyone else with knowledge of these hotels?

Thank you so much!

chapla Sep 22nd, 2013 06:05 AM

No comparison-Suites Prado is gloomy/dated.I'd take a room at Catalonia over the Suites-any size!

hax Sep 24th, 2013 05:49 PM

Okay, chapla--thanks!

GiuliaPiraino Sep 24th, 2013 08:46 PM

I loved Catalonia Las Cortes. We had a fantastic room, huge bathroom and the free breakfast was amazing! Great location for exploring Madrid.

GiuliaPiraino Sep 24th, 2013 08:48 PM

Oh and the hotel staff was excellent, very attentive. I appreciated that they called and booked our tickets for Casa Patas flamenco show as our Spanish is greatly lacking.

hax Sep 25th, 2013 06:00 AM

Great, thank you, GiuliaPiraino, although our rate does not include free breakfast.

GiuliaPiraino Sep 25th, 2013 06:05 AM

Ah, I just looked and we had free breakfast because we booked through agoda.com, most of their rooms include breakfast which is why I always check them first.

GiuliaPiraino Sep 25th, 2013 06:18 AM

At least they used to before Priceline bought them, now it's an "option", but they still have great prices MOST of the time :)