Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Catalonia & the Basque Country: A Laboratory of Taste

Aug 9th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

"Several months before our defense secretary downgraded France to the 'old Europe' and our restaurateurs started pouring French wine into the gutters, I was talking with Marc Veyrat, a French chef whose two restaurants have received top scores from the Michelin and Gault-Millau guides. To my surprise, Veyrat told me that the most creative cooks in Europe were no longer French; they were Spanish. Had my source been located in the Pentagon and not in a sumptuous auberge on the shores of Lake Annecy, I would have taken the assertion with several fistfuls of gros sel. However, this declaration of Spanish creative supremacy came from one of the most forward-looking chefs in France. I paid attention. . . . Many prominent American chefs agree. 'Spain is where the zeitgeist has shifted,' says Charlie Trotter, Chicago's most celebrated chef. 'In Spain, they're pushing the envelope. . . . The two epicenters of the Spanish groundswell are both in the northern part of the country -- Catalonia, of which Barcelona is the capital, and the Basque country around San Sebastián."

So writes Arthur Lubow in The New York Times Magazine, in the article...

"A Laboratory of Taste"

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/10/magazine/10SPAIN.html
Aug 9th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Thanks. Three weeks and counting. Decided to extend our six night stay in San Sebastian by one night to fit in Mugaritz!
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Capo -
In the March 2003 issue of Saveur there is an article about San Sabastian's annual Tamborrada (Drum Festival) and the eating clubs. - an informative, mouthwatering read.
Aug 9th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Marija,
Please don't miss Mugaritz!! It's an amazing culinary experience in every way-like no other in the S.S. area. And you can then say: "I got to sample Adoni's cooking in '03". He's definitely the one to watch!

Also, do consider fitting in Fagollaga (on the Goizueta road outside Hernani), as Isaac Salaberria is another rising star!
I promise.
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:33 PM

Maribel,

How can we resist? Mugaritz is reserved, now my husband is working on Fagollaga. Thanks so much.
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Marija,
Yeah! You'll eat incredibly well! And you could combine the Zabalaga farm (Chillida Leku Museum) and Fagollaga in the same afternoon.

For an idea why Mugaritz is all the rage, you might enjoy Gourmet's article, by Alexander Lobrano, Jan. '03 issue, "Revolutionizing haute cuisine, one plate at a time", if you haven't read it already. The Oct. '02 Gault Millau mag. called him "the best young chef in Europe". And "The Best of Spanish Gastronomy" (the foodie's bible) by Rafael García Santos gives Mugaritz a 9 over 10 and Fagollaga an 8,5. (Fagollaga's degustacion menu is only 37 euros)
Happy eating!