catacombs tour Rome with enjoyrome

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catacombs tour Rome with enjoyrome

I'd like to see the catacombs while in Rome and was wondering if anyone has done the enjoyrome "churches of rome and catacombs tour". Any advise on other tours or experiences appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM

We're going to Rome in July and have booked a tour with Angel tours. I can't vouch for them yet, however I read Rick Steve's website (graffiti wall and the company had good reviews. Good Luck.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM
lyn

We did the enjoyrome tour last year and liked it. We chose it for the catacombs, but ended up loving it for the gorgeous churches. It is a good way to cover a lot of ground and see some sights that are a little out of the way; we were staying near the Pantheon and walked everywhere else.

Also, if I recall correctly, they picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel.

Enjoy!
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Better be ready for a closed-in time.
If you suffer claustrophobia...stay away!!!
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Lyn- I was thinking of the enjoyrome tour because of that exact reason, the inclusion of the churches.
Pago could you please elaborate on the claustrophobia bit? I've heard it is cramped; now I'm thinking that taking a camera and backpack will not be permissable?
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:08 AM

We just came back from Europe last week and did the Enjoy Rome "Appian Way and Catacombs Tour." Loved our English tour guide, she was a hoot. The catacombs, were at best ok. After about 10 min, I was bored. The section we toured, which is but a small fraction of the Christian part of San Callisto were all but hollowed out sections nestled in the walls of the catacombs. There are no bones. I thought they'd be like the Catacombs in Paris, bones stacked into shapes. There were some nice murals on the wall in one section, and a nice statue of "St Julia" (?) a matyr who was beheaded for her beliefs. The catacombs are located in a nice area outside of Rome. It was refreshing to get out of the city's dust and grime and into some fresh air. The catacombs tour was about 25 minutes, weaving through a maze of tunnels with another catacombs tourguide who gave a very detailed history lesson. I liked the tour, but for a more interesting tour of catacombs I wish I had gone to the Capuchine Monks one. They have former priests stacked in their's. I'd give the tour a solid B+, mainly from the other attractions like the aquaducts, appian way, and other tour points illustrated along our route.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I agree with Cammci. I was with another company, but the experience is about the same (except we visited a couple of churches also). I enjoyed being out of the city, but the catacombs were ok. You go deep into the ground and see lots of "holes" in the walls. Interesting, but there are other things more interesting unless you have all the time in the world.
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice. If there are only a few holes in the wall here and there, I may give this tour a miss. I only have a total of 6 days in rome(with jetlag), so its good to know these things for streamlining my itinary.

Thanks again
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM

this last March I took the tour and wrote about it here with this title: rome trip and photos: o solo mio

click on my name and it will come up.

There are more than a few niches, the whole place is made up of niches, I found it interesting in the terms of learning the way the Ancient Romans buried people.

The other churches are fascinating too.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SeaUrchin
Read you trip report with great interest. Also checked out your photo's at pbase; very good documentation of your trip! I'm assuming some of those night shots were taken with a tripod?
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:43 AM

The Catacombs are *very easy* to do on your own also.

All the Catacombs provide an English speaking guide and you can only enter with their guide anyway.

I've had solo tours, with another tourist and small group tours.

On your own you could see all 3 Catacombs (on the days that they are all open) if you liked by lunch time.

My favorites are San Sebastiano and San Callisto which are within minutes walking distance of each other.

These directions will get you there easily http://tinyurl.com/j9w3d
if you are interested.
Regards, Walter
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Walter
appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM

HI tracker, no I just pointed and shot at night, it is a shame because I know they would have come out better with a tripod. I was just on a nightly stroll and started snapping pics. thanks.

Let us know what you decide to do, maybe in a trip report?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Ok no problem , will let you know!