Casual Dordogne Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tend to focus on high end restaurants when we travel because of our restaurant history. While in the Dordogne in March we generally had big lunches and not much for dinner. What are your favorite casual or 'drop in for a light bite' restaurants in the Dordogne?

The gite owners recommended La Petite Tonnelle in Beynac for our first night. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 04:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'll be watching this post for our trip in Sept.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I thought you might be. I promise to report back!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM

La Petite Tonnelle is about the best Beynac can do for restaurants, but it's not one of my favorites. The food is really good; the service, not so much. But that, of course, is true of many places that have to welcome hordes of tourists in the busy months. I've never been there in off-season - maybe it's better then.

We love Le Chai in Limeuil, although even there in high season service can be slow (though not rude). In summer, it's lovely to sit out in the garden; in winter, it's very intimate and cosy by the fireplace.

But probably my favorite casual place is Le Petit Léon in St-Léon-sur-Vézère - also in the garden (never been there in off-season...in fact I think it closes).

Also love going to Le Gaulois in Sarlat for tartiflette.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Well, if you want really casual in St. Leon, there's Le Dejeuner sur l'Herbe. It's a semi-shack in back of town on the bank of the Vézère river. There are picnic tables and surprisingly good food. You need good weather but it's a really pleasant place to lunch or pick up a snack.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Merci! We're here now so I'll add these suggestions to my list too.

We're having dinner at the Presidial in Sarlat tonight, not a casual spot but not too expensive either.

How about shopping for picnic supplies at one of the many wonderful markets? We picnicked along the banks of the Dordogne today near Beynac after canoeing downriver from Cenac. Cenac market is on Tuesday morning so you could shop then ship out.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Ok, I'll bite. What is tartiflette?
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Moolyn, happy to see you here and hoping you are having a very special time.
Have you bought the chocloate covered walnuts
and a tin of walnut oil to bring back.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartiflette

When we get "tired" of foie gras and pommes de terre sarladaises and confit, and want something from another region of France (albeit another region with fattening cuisine), we go for Chez Le Gaulois for Savoie cooking. Or Roma for pizza. Or Le Mentalo in Les Eyzies for a salad.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM

I like La Petite Tonnelle. The food is good, and it's reasonably priced. In Limeuil, there's also Au Bon Acceuil at the top of the village (enjoy the climb!). If you get tired of the 'terroir' cuisine there's a good family restaurant in Monpazier which makes great cous cous dishes. It's called La Bastide. They also do excellent salade composes.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM

I think La Gabarre in St Julien de Lampon would probably qualify as 'casual' Especially at lunch on a nice day when you can sit outside above the river. Also great food, as Ludovic, the chef, trained at the Centenaire when it was 2 star, and the Grand Bleu, a one star. www.restaurantlagabarre.com
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 04:59 AM

Tartiffette looks absolutely fantastic. Something MDH would love as he is a big potato and ham fan. We are definitely putting Chez Le Gaulois on our list.

La Gabarre is also going on the list.

OMG, it's early and I'm having my morning coffee, but I suddenly got very hungry----French restaurant photos will do that to you.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Second the idea of a nice bite at Déjeuner sur l'Herbe on the Vézère. Once properly fortified you can cross the bridge, turn left onto the path, and hike up to the secret door.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for not getting back to thank you for the suggestions but was busy with the 65th anniversary party for my folks.

StCirq, what is the secret door?
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM

can also vouch for la Gabarre - its a really pleasant location if you eat outside like we did (although inside also looked great). It is maybe a tad more pricey than other places but we enjoyed the food very much.

Chez Le Gaulois in sarlat itself is a nice lunch spot too, hams, cheeses and potatoes so not loads of choice but we really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Two more suggestions for casual dining in the Dordogne:

Cro Marin in St. Cyprien is wonderful for seafood. It's in the centre of the main street, near the tourist office and adjacent to the poissonerie. We sat at a table on the sidewalk under umbrellas and enjoyed a huge bowl of mussels in broth with frites cooked in duck fat for just ten euros twenty each and shared a half liter of Bergerac rose for just another five euros. It's closed on Mondays and on Sunday evening.

The Bistrot en Face in Tremolat, just across the street from Le Vielle Logis and owned by the same people, is very popular with locals so you should probably reserve. Who knew prunes would make such a wonderful dessert? The trick is to soak them in red Bergerac wine and serve them with rum ice cream. I think I'll try this on some Fodor friends.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM

I had a delightful lunch at La Table du Terroir in La Chapelle-Aubareil, just outside Montignac and the Lascaux caves: http://www.tableduterroir.com/

It is casual and the food wonderful. I recall having an excellent Confit de Canard and some local Bergerac red wine and it was quite reasonable. It is more feast than light meal.