Notices

Castles near London

Dec 7th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Sarah

Castles near London

Hi!
I will be travelling to London and staying in the city, and I'm trying to look up some castles to visit, however, I have SO clueless about how long it would take to get from one side of the city to another, let alone to any of the castles listed. I'll be staying at the Euro Hotel which is at 53 Cartwright Gardens, London. Can anyone who is familiar with the area tell me about some castles they've enjoyed and how far they are from the hotel? We won't have a car, so we'll have to rely on public transportation.
Thank you all in advance!!!

Dec 7th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Bob

We were in London in October and found that both Windsor Castle and the tower of London were much more entertaining than we had anticipated. They both took the best part of a day. Both are easily reached by public transportation. I'm sure there are others closeby available through public transportation and/or tours. We also found the metro to be as easy to use as everyone said it was.

Dec 7th, 2001, 08:37 AM
andrew

Hi Sarah

Bob's mentioned two of the best in or nearby to London. Other alternatives are Hampton Court (Henry VIII's palace) which is 50 minutes train journey from London Waterloo station which has so much of interest inside including replica kitchens and beautiful works of art. Also for an authentic castle with a moat (water round) go for Leeds Castle in Kent 1 hour to the south of London - there are many tours e.g Frames Rickard, Evan Evans that run day trips here combined with a visit to the old roman town of Canterbury with its famous cathedral.

Hope this may help and enjoy your trip to London
Andrew

Dec 7th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Janie

Dear Sarah,
I live in London and can advise you of the following:
www.hallamanderson.com ph 020 7243 0505 www.tracks-travel.com ph 020 7937 3028
Top Deck Travel
Backpackers Tours
All of these companies do day tours leaving from Victoria Bus station, minutes walk from Victoria train station which is easy to get to from your hotel - bus from Eutson bus terminal (no. 7 or 23, I think)or tube from Euston tube station (www.thetube.com)

Search this Thread